clogged poppet valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevo4361

Reaction score
If I may rant a bit,
Just tapped my Octane IPA keg that I had sitting at 37 degrees F for a week, only the second keg I have hooked up. After swearing a bit due to a trickle coming out of my tap, figured it was the valve being screwed up as it was a used keg and looks like a universal poppet rather than Cornelius Super Champ. After reading on here a bit figured I'd see if it was clogged with hop particulates, even though I was pretty easy on siphoning to leave all the trub out. Sure enough plugged. After three attempts at cleaning out, and then sampling to see if my flow rate has improved, have to stop for the night as I am becoming a bit fuzzy and have to work tomorrow. Thanks for hearing me out

Stevo

PS-even though it comes out slow, it is quite good :mug:

Turns out the poppet valve was either a universal or the wrong one for my keg, a Super Champion Cornelius (Type B poppet through Norther Brewer FYI). Ordered one from NB and a couple other things, changed it out tonight, (after spraying everything with a liberal coating of SS) and normal flow. Just in case anyone else has the same problem, the valve that was in before stuck out above the stem about a 1/8" or so. Proper one is flush.

Stevo

Back