Clog??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oneandone

Reaction score
Really novice question but I am getting barely any flow from a picnic tap on a loose dry pellet hopped ale. I am sure as ever that it’s the poppet causing th clog. I cleaned it and it worked for one glass then it clogged again. What are my options at this point with a keg full of beer still carbonating. Cold crash then siphon to another keg? Pull dip tube and bend or cut it? Tilt the keg in the kegerator and let it sit for a while? Should i get a floating dip tube and try and install with beer in it? First time kegging and I am “setting and forgetting” carbonating this keg.

Floating dip tube and filter on it could work after the cold crash ( whilst you wait for it to arrive). Not sure you'd want to open the keg with it fully carbed as it may well stir up all of the hops again. I haven't experience of force carbing with loose hops in the keg. I do mine in the pressure fermenter, cold crash and closed transfer and haven't had those problems.

If you don't want to transfer the beer or go to a floating dip tube, you can try putting some sort of filter on your keg's dip tube. Kind of like this one Corny Keg Dip Tube Screen
I've never used such a product, so I don't know how well this would work. If I dry hop in the keg I usually put the hops in a muslin bag and suspend it via dental floss.

I've also heard of some quickly clearing clogs by blowing C02 through the liquid out post on the keg. Again, never tried it myself, so I can't endorse the method, but could be something you'd want to look into.

Hmm...I might try the co2 on liquid post trick too. Well, the posts are different sizes. The gas post has a smaller bump so fitting the disconnect over the bigger liquid post will be a problem. It can be done...ask me how :O but will not want to come off.

My stout is pouring real slow, even at 12 psi. I don't know why. I have other beers at 7-8 pouring 3-4x as fast. all the lines are the same.

I think that those that have done the C02 thing would put a liquid disconnect on a gas line. But I'm not certain, I've never tried it. I just seem to recall hearing of others doing this.

Couple of ways of firing down the liquid post. As above put a liquid ball lock on gas line. BE CAREFUL if the regulator pressure isn't higher than the keg pressure beer will go up the line and wreck your regulator.
If you have kegland T piece you can connect liquid to liquid onto the keg post and put the gas from reg on the other bit of the T piece this way with a small bottle you could have a little starsan or sterile water in the bottle and flush that down if you wanted. Again watch the pressure differences orientation of bottle depending on if you have a dip tube on the vertical out of the T piece.
I've got one of these see thumbnail I use for injecting closed into my kegs and pressure fermenters, it has universal post on the top that takes gas or liquid, all my gas post connectors have non returns on now after lesson learnt.
Trouble is clearing the blockage won't necessarily stop it happening again if the bottom of the keg is a couple of inches deep with hops.
IMG_20210520_093957.jpg

Back