Clearing Hard lemonade in keg - time sensitive

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

globell

Reaction score
so we have a birthday party this weekend (Sunday) and of course we have a couple kegs in the go. It’s june. Need to stay hydrated right?

I left my lemonade making until late it it hadn’t completely cleared. It tastes a tad yeasty and to me it’s a no go.

It’s in the keg, carbonated.

Is there anything I can add (please add instructions) that will clear most of the yeast flavour and Ben ready for Sunday afternoon?

I Hail Mary’d Some gelatin last night to see if that helps.

Thanks!

You can force-carb in an hour by shaking a keg at 30-40psi. Anything I can reasonably think of would cause you to lose a lot of carbonation. Also, a "tad yeasty" may not be noticeable after the first glass or two (either from inebriation or after pulling off the settled sediment in the keg).

I’ve drawn off a number of glasses and the yeast taste is still there. I normally let it clear for months and this was only 4 weeks.

The lemonade is carbonate currently but I don’t mind force carbing again if I need to clear.

Does bentonite work?

Other suggestions?

I've used Sparkolloid in skeeter pee to great success - but it takes a day or two to work, and that was in uncarbonated fluid. Beyond that, gelatin, which you have already tried.

One other thing I can think of would be that you could rig up a 5 micron and 1 micron water filter, and then pump or use co2 to push through the filters. You'd need 1 micron to eliminate the yeast, but a 5 micron might do enough for the taste. Caveat: I have never tried it personally.

Keg A -> Filter -> Keg B

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you have done all that you can for now. Kerp it chilled, 30° if possible and hope for the best.

Pull a pint on Sunday morning before disturbing the keg. Hopefully it pulls most all the yeasties. Next pour should be more clear... Hopefully.

How much gelatin is standard for finning. This is my first go at using it. I used 1.5 tsp per 5 gallons.

Back