Clearing cider with pectinase/pectic enzyme

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giuzep89

Reaction score
Hello friends,
I've just brewed an apple wine I'm really happy with. Some facts about it:
- SG 1.086
- FG 1.000
- Pasteurized apple juice from a local company (very light filtering, real rich flavor)
- Apple juice concentrate (added till reaching 1.086)
- Mangrove Jack's M02 Cider Yeast
- Pectinase added before together with pitching.

Don't remember exactly how much pectinase I used but it was in the ballpark of what most sites I found recommend. It's been about a week since racking but it still shows no sign of clearing. I have absolutely no idea how long it's supposed to take, but what I do know is that after I rack any beer and mead (and with any yeast) and degas, all yeast drops and leaves a clear beverage within a week tops. Therefore this must be pectin haze since I can see that the remaining yeast has dropped as well.

How long does it normally take for pectinase to clear a cider in your experience? Obviously it's just for esthetics, since it needs to age anyway given the ABV.
Cheers!

Mine seem to start clearing well around the end of the second month - about a month after first rack. It isn't uncommon for it to feel like it isn't clearing, then suddenly one day, you look at it, and it's cleared or clearing

Your answer makes me feel much better about it! I gotta be patient I guess!

Back