Clearing Beer - Why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomakana

Reaction score
Relatively new brewer here. I've been wondering a bit about the process of clearing beer...not how to do it (there are plenty of resources around about that), but more why. Barring entering a beer into competition, where I'm assuming clarity is a part of the criteria, is there anything other than cosmetic considerations behind trying to achieve a crystal clear beer?

I've done a variety of beers so far (couple of Pale Ales, Brown Ale, Hefe, first Lager is fermenting now), all extract with some steeping grains. None of them were particularly clear when I bottled them, and of course as they sat for a week or so in the refrigerator some of them did drop very clear - even considering the clarity difference, however, there was little noticeable sediment, except for the Hefe, which I had to swirl a little since I know it's not supposed to be clear. But I'm not positive I can tell a difference in flavor/body/etc between the ones that I drank earlier rather than later. Maybe I have to do a more direct taste comparison?

Thanks for the thoughts.

Tom

Some of your heavier flavored beers don't really need clearing except for aesthetics, IMO. Lighter hopped and flavored beers like lagers can benefit, flavor wise, from being cleared.

I have noticed that clearing often goes along with crisp, defined flavors. Makes sense to me as all of the "stuff" falling out would improve the beer. Not very much in homebrewing is imperative but proper lagering/clearing will offer some rewards.

Dropping yeast out of the beer will benefit the light, crips style beers like lagers, blondes and even some pales.

All in all, with many styles the difference in taste between a clear and a cloudy beer will be minimal. The reason I like to clear my beer is many people taste with their eyes before their mouth. To me, taking a sip of a crystal clear beer just makes it taste that much better, even though really there probably isn’t much difference. Just more appealing on the eyes.

Last edited:
Allowing time for the yeast to settle out is the main issue for me since a strong yeast flavor is not desirable in most style. Clarity for the sake of clarity is not required.

Yeast and hops floating around in a beer completely take away from the flavor of a beer. They overpower the flavors of the malt and hops infused in the beer...They taste pretty bad. My best beers have been my clearest beers. Haze is a different story.I don't notice flavor difference in a hazy beer. If you get a face like you just ate a sour patch kid theres a good chance its from the yeast "bite" they call it....let a beer sit for a week in any clear glass. Slowly pour off the beer and leave the sediment. Drink the sediment with a clean palate and see if you like the flavor...you wont...those flavors are in an unclear beer. Hops drop out quick and are less of a concern than the yeast that can linger forever sometimes without crashing or fining

I am very suspect of the replies above. I agree that clarity is largely unnecessary, furthermore I think the perceived impact of turbidity is mistaken. In my experience, haziness detracts from perceived sweetness more than anything else- “crisp” styles do not require clarity. I view fining as an aesthetic process which does not help aroma/flavor- the best you can hope for is no impact. Bottle conditioned beer is not by definition worse than force carbed so the argument seems moot. And now to completely contradict myself- in wine I have found that a few wines (rosé specifically) seem to like protein fining- it focuses the palate: the acidity and mouthfeel goes from fuzzy to sharp and dense. It’s hard to describe but some wines don’t taste right until bentonite is added. Maybe some beer reacts the same way... so this was a useless post but I spent 5 minutes writing it so take it you basterds.

The reason I like to clear my beer is many people taste with their eyes before their mouth. To me, taking a sip of a crystal clear beer just makes it taste that much better, even though really there probably isn’t much difference. Just more appealing on the eyes.

Exactly. This goes for many things, like a big example would be cooking. I know there are a lot of people that say that it don't matter to them what the beer looks like, same as they say they dont care if their omelette looks like its been dropped on the floor and run over by a Mac truck, in both cases, it just matters if it tastes good. I personally find that to be a defense mechanism stated by those that either cant plate a decent meal, or cant quite get their beers to be clear enough... so its the "Whatever, I like it good enough" thing. Is one way better than the other? No. But I would be willing to bet that if people are honest with themselves, they would much rather have a clear beer vs one with chunks floating it in... whether they admit to it or not. :)

As for me, I always let mine sit in the cooler in the conical for at least a week or 2 before I test it. If it's a style that would benefit from the use of Gelatin, at that point I might toss some in. I, personally, I enjoy the excitement of pulling a clear beer off the taps, especially one that tastes awesome. :)

Mouthfeel, "slickness", hop taste, ester and phenol taste etc. It matters.

For mye Hefes and hoppy beers I've spent some time finding out what I have to do to get just the right amount of yeast into the bottles to achieve what I'm after.

For instance, a friend of mine who got some hoppy ones said they felt dry. I asked him if he poured all the contents from the bottle in the glass, he said no, then I told him to do so (My CC time and keg-time, then drain out some yeast from the before CPF'ing them is (to me) important), and he then said that the mouthfeel after doing so was perfect.

To further my view, Outside of finings and hefes, a beer that clears on its own is a sign that it is brewed well. Which in turn leads to better tasting beers. Dusty beer is not necessarily bad, but genuinely clear beer is a sign of fewer flaws and just better imho. If every beer turned out like a see through German Pils, I do not think folks would have an issue with their beer. But if every beer you made never turned out clear, I would say some would take issue with this.

I am just finishing a keg of a low alcohol Belgian Tripel. It never really can to life until it cleared naturally while sitting in the keg. The clarity of the flavor really followed the clarity of the beer.

So a NEIPA is a poorly brewed beer? :p

It all depends on what you're after. I like my hoppy ones and yeasty ones hazy. When you're able to control the haze, that's when the fun begins. It has a big impact.

I agree with others- clarity depends on style.
I recently bought a 16oz bottle of German pilz from a local brewery. When I poured into a glass it was slightly cloudy and had sediment on bottom of bottle. If there is one style that should be clear,it’s a pilz.
Needless to say I was disappointed and probably will never buy their beer again. I won’t name names but I live in The left hand Portland.

I just started filtering all my beers with the little brown pump through a 1 micron filter...no complaints so far and no waiting for yeast to drop out...seems to be working

So a NEIPA is a poorly brewed beer? :p

It all depends on what you're after. I like my hoppy ones and yeasty ones hazy. When you're able to control the haze, that's when the fun begins. It has a big impact.
+1

Theres a time and a place for clarity and hazyness, but thats all part of the fun of brewing. Learning the different styles, and controlling these factors of your beer to match said styles :D

It is all different strokes for different folks. It is nice to be able to control what you are doing, so you can choose to do a clear, hazy, or whatever beer.

Personally, 90% of the time I don't care to much about perfect clarity, and just let the yeast do what they do. That's just my style of brewing. I do however like to brew up a crystal clear cream ale from time to time.

Does anyone feel like S05 doesn't clear as well as it used to? I used to never gelatin fine and it would clear in a couple weeks in the keg. If I skip gelatin lately, it's pretty cloudy for weeks.

Does anyone feel like S05 doesn't clear as well as it used to? I used to never gelatin fine and it would clear in a couple weeks in the keg. If I skip gelatin lately, it's pretty cloudy for weeks.
I use 05 all the time. It clears but certainly doesn't drop like a rock. Hence my new fangled $30 filtering system. Clears all yeast while racking to keg and the day after I rack my beer I have a clear carbed beer...its a beautiful thing

Thanks to all the replies for this question. It's an interesting debate. I'm certainly trying to get the beers as clear as possible, but given the mixed success at clearing them (and the fact that I've generally enjoyed all of them regardless of the clarity) I was wondering if I was overthinking it. I will say that when I finally poured one that had been chilling for a week or two and it came out crystal clear, it was pretty cool! Unfortunately, it was also my hefe, so kind of defeated the purpose. Also, when I began thinking about this whole thing, the only other one I had ready was a brown ale, so clarity's a little harder to detect in that one. I have a pale ale now that's been chilling for a little while - I'll be interested to see what it's clarity is like when I pour it.

I like to serve a nice looking pint to my friends. That's my reason.

Me too. It really impresses people when you can hand them a beer that looks like commercial quality- then they taste it and continue to be impressed.

Really helps with the Bud Light crowd (a few of my uncles unfortunately).

I like to serve my beer as I want them to be. If they don't like it it's a two minute walk to the store.

The only person I have to impress is myself, which is hard enough. But beers which are supposed to be clear are served as clear as I can get them.

I have been using a lot of S05 and it drops very clear for me. I normally do a good rolling 90 minute boil and chill quickly (to get a good hot and cold break). I add no finings and in about 2 weeks time in the keg it is very clear.

Is this "Ugh.." because you question the cost? I rather think it's probably on the order of just 3-4 cents per batch, as you're only using about 1/2 tsp gelatin per 5 gallon batch?

or is this "Ugh.." because you can taste the gelatin and think it's nasty?

or is this "Ugh.." because you generally don't like the idea of ground up horse hoofs in your beer?

Not trying to start a flame or anything, but am generally curious. I've never thought one could taste the gelatin used for fining. But I don't have the most developed palate...

Put me in the camp of fining with gelatin (most of the time), because, why not...

Regards,

Mark

Is this "Ugh.." because you question the cost? I rather think it's probably on the order of just 3-4 cents per batch, as you're only using about 1/2 tsp gelatin per 5 gallon batch?

or is this "Ugh.." because you can taste the gelatin and think it's nasty?

or is this "Ugh.." because you generally don't like the idea of ground up horse hoofs in your beer?

Not trying to start a flame or anything, but am generally curious. I've never thought one could taste the gelatin used for fining. But I don't have the most developed palate...

Put me in the camp of fining with gelatin (most of the time), because, why not...

Regards,

Mark

It was "ugh" because the question was about why to clear beer and that answer was basically just "its cheap so why not just do it". It didn't address what affects beer clarity, the effects of keeping each of those things in suspension, why you would/wouldn't want to keep some of things in suspension based on preferences and beer styles.

The original poster asked a question in search of knowledge, and the "Just do it" answer doesn't provide any knowledge.

For me, I like a clear beer. I will drink a cloudy beer if it's a NEIPA but I don't like murky beers.

Just like when I got to a restaurant or at home, I like my meals to look attractive. I know in my head that a pile of spaghetti just glopped onto my plate will taste just as good as a beautifully plated spaghetti. But still, you eat with your eyes. I'm the same way with beer.

For me, I like a clear beer. I will drink a cloudy beer if it's a NEIPA but I don't like murky beers.

Just like when I got to a restaurant or at home, I like my meals to look attractive. I know in my head that a pile of spaghetti just glopped onto my plate will taste just as good as a beautifully plated spaghetti. But still, you eat with your eyes. I'm the same way with beer.

I made blue spaghetti last week and my wife refused to touch it. Same flavor. I used butterfly pea flowers (30 of them) to stain the boiling water dark blue, then removed the flowers and made the (homemade) pasta. Haha.

Anyway, often that murkiness is yeast, especially in young beers, and I can certainly taste that, and I don't like it. So yes I agree, clear beers are better!

I like my beers unfiltered and unfined - I feel like the beer loses something when it is fined and/or filtered. I "set and forget" my keg so the beer ends up pretty clear after being held at 34°F for 10 days.

I never understood all the trouble and processes that people go thru to try to get their beer clear or why they are needed to achieve clarity. Only thing I ever do is use Whirlfloc. Never cold crashed and never used gelatin. Almost all my brews come out like a commercial brew. I guess I'm doing something right?

I used to use isinglass, but then considered what I was adding to my beer and why. Going all grain with a vigorous boil and a quick drop to pitching temperature gives me very clear beer. Most of my beer now conforms to the Reinheitsgebot.

Three things, all related in some way, were responsible for clear beer being a thing....

In the 1800's there were newspaper articles, medical journal entries (and even lawsuits filed) accusing brewers of putting all sorts of foul things in their beer. Pale Ales/Bitters were light colored, clear beers and the drinking public put faith in those based solely on their clarity.

Later, in the same century, when glass drink ware became more common, the public again found that a sparkling clear drink in their glass looked more appealing than the opaque beers.

And then there is a class prejudice that happened too... Dark, opaque beers were the drink of the lower class. The pale ales were made of more expensive pale malts and therefore they cost more which made them the drink of those who could afford them... the upper class. Clear beer was equated with wealth and privilege - dark beer with the commoners.

I never understood all the trouble and processes that people go thru to try to get their beer clear or why they are needed to achieve clarity. Only thing I ever do is use Whirlfloc. Never cold crashed and never used gelatin. Almost all my brews come out like a commercial brew. I guess I'm doing something right?
Same here. Whirlfloc + time + gravity does the same thing for me. I make a lot of dark brews, so no worries there anyway, but even on clearer beers, the above equation seems to work for me.

Clarity is probably just a mental thing but it’s a mental thing I and many others can’t get over. I’ll agitate my hefes to keep em a little cloudy, if they drop clear I don’t enjoy them as much. I like a little haze in my Saisons and some of my IPAs. Kolsch, pale ale, anything really light (except Saisons) or anything dark I want it dead clear. Clear beer allows you too truly see and appreciate the color and if you get a beer that drops clear with nothing but a whirlfloc addition then it’s a sign things went well. Maybe not a guarantee that it’ll taste good, but at least you did something right. I used to go out my way to mix up sediment in commercial brews, to this day a Grand Teton Brewing Sweet Water is better with the sediment than without. Like I said, it’s probably mental but it’s real when it comes to how much I enjoy a beer. I also can’t stand the murky messes that most people get with NEIPAs, they might taste good but I can’t get over the look.

I think there's a big difference between cloudiness and debris. I don't typically want actually hop debris etc floating in my brew, but a hazy uniform beverage is fine. I haven't found the need to go to any lengths to clear my beer. I do use a little Irish moss when I remember to put it in. I can't say with certainty that it does anything.

I think there's a big difference between cloudiness and debris. I don't typically want actually hop debris etc floating in my brew, but a hazy uniform beverage is fine. I haven't found the need to go to any lengths to clear my beer. I do use a little Irish moss when I remember to put it in. I can't say with certainty that it does anything.

Hop debris is a whole other subject. That's just putting in zero effort.

Hop debris is a whole other subject. That's just putting in zero effort.
Well there are some commercial examples of this. I think heady topper comes to mind. So yes should avoided, but even when intentional, it's not my preference.

Well there are some commercial examples of this. I think heady topper comes to mind. So yes should avoided, but even when intentional, it's not my preference.

I have never, in many years, seen hop debris in Heady. Seems like a rumor started from people not understanding why it's hazy.

as far as crystal clear beer, do what makes you happy and who cares. I personally don't put much effort in. No finings, gelatin, whatever. most styles that should be clear drop nice and clear with a little time. Others like NEIPAs don't. I just roll with it. If a beer isn't perfectly clear I certainly don't fret over it because I care more about the taste than the look. As long as it tastes good, who really cares.

Back