Cleaning your grain mill - how too?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim_s

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I just bought my first grain mill and curious on how I clean it for my first batch.

I ran a couple slices of bread through mine and then called it good. Just to remove any oil that might be on the rollers when packaged.

After using it for grains, I just blow on it and throw a dry towel over it until next time.

With my Barley Crusher grain mill, they said to run a little grain through it to get the oils off the rollers from shipment. Eventually, the rollers start to get stuck, & need to be disassembled to get the gunk off the bearings, edges of the rollers, etc. But for first use, just clean the oil off the rollers.

Air hose. If you don't have a compressor, you can get a small one cheap, they're great for blowing out mills, valves, tubing etc.

I don't remember noticing any oils on the first use. I use a little paint brush to wipe the dust off after every batch - that's it.

Don't clean it with water/liquid (high risk of mould). Air or dry cloth/brush only.

I use a hog bristle basting brush I got at Giant Eagle to wipe the dust off the hopper, rollers, & under the base. But an air hose would be nice to get the dust out where the roller assembly is bolted to the base.

I have a monster mill and love it. Unfortunately my mill is mounted Ina stand in my unconditioned garage. I get rust on the rollers so every so often I've been running a clean wire wheel over it.

I took about 1-2lbs of old grain I had that probably was a couple years old and ran it through about 3-4 times and threw it out just to kind of get anything off of it that might have been there to start with (like oil or shavings). After that, I use a paint brush to kind of dust it off. As others have said - don't "wash" it with water or anything like that.

Compressed air...but going to add a little soft brushing to boot after reading this thread.

I've never cleaned mine, ha. I didn't notice any factory oils on it before first use either.

I just give it a few good shakes after a crush.

As a side note: Be sure, if you shake it by grabbing the hopper, you make sure there was no separation from the rollers. I didn't notice that my hopper came off of the rollers just a bit and I was letting whole grains get into my crushed grains bucket thus greatly effecting my efficiency.

Run something through it to clean off manufacturing oils, much like with any new metal purchases that touch food.

After a milling session brush down the rollers to get the flour off. Its kinda gross when you go to mill some grain and you see flour covered spiderwebs.

I have had my mill for years with no issues.

As others have said, you don't need to clean your mill before its first use, other than maybe running a handful of grain through it to remove residual oils from manufacturing (which half of us didn't even do). After each use, a gentle knock, quick brush, or blast of compressed air will help keep it clean. Every year or two, you can give it a thorough cleaning (see this article for a guide for Barley Crushers).

Yup, you're right about that. I've been using mine for nearly 2 years, & had to take it apart to clean the floury stuff-turned-hard gunk off things. But I still need to loosen the bolts on the bottom a hair to get it to crank more easily.

My Cereal Killer did have a bit of oil on the rollers, but I ran a couple lbs. of grain through it while setting and testing the gap initially anyhow, so that soaked anything up.

After each use I hit it with a couple quick bursts from a can of compressed air.

I spin the rollers and brush them off, then used canned air to blow off the rollers and get flour out of the crevices.

I ran a pound or two of cheap white rice through my mill a couple time (re-ran same rice) to both help remove any manufacturing oils and metal chads/flakes. After that, a quick brushing with a paint brush was all that was done prior to first milling. That was the only prep I did prior to use the new mill.

Now, after each milling I simply use the same paint brush to get excess flour off of the mill. Occasionally I'll blow the flour around the rollers with either compressed air (rare) or breath (usually).

I was just thinking to look in the garage for my old Dirt Dawg (Browns version of dirt devil). That's small enough to vacuum a grain mill.

Back