Cleaning your Bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redpappy

Reaction score
so I have done a search on this, and have seen some old post on the matter. But I am looking for currant info. How do you clean your bag? If you wash it in you washing machine do you use soap? If you just rinse and hang dry ( which is what I do for now)... does the bag get washed after every 20 brews, or just as needed?

Reason for the inquire is because I have noticed black spot on the outer edge of my bag.. and I’m not sure the best practice to clean my Windsor Bag ( spelling might be off, a few sheets under the wind)

Thanks in advance..

I have a few things that I wash in an oxy only small batch in the washer. Hop sock, brew bag, my thong (Oh strike that).

Keep in mind that stains, and even a little mold should not really matter. Everything that touches the bag will boil and sterilize by boiling.

I figure the boil will sterilize, but it’s the sight that disturbed me... I have thought about throwing my bags in the wash ( grain and hops(paint bag)) in the wash, but wanted to see what others have done..

Once again, thanks for the feed back

I tried soaking a stained bag in oxi clean, I thought it looked worse because it was all splotchy...

I’ve heard a bleach soak will whiten a bag nicely, but is it worth the effort?

Last edited:
I have a round feed tough that I use as a cleaning tub. Put some PBW and tap water in it to start. Bag goes in when empty, then chiller water goes in it to heat it up. After transfer; pots, fittings, hoses... go in for a clean then a rinse. After rinse, if bag is bad it goes in wash. That might be every 3rd brew.

The issue is the black spots ( mold possibly) it’s only on the rim of my bag, but it bothers me. I will try the washer, there is no agitator so with any luck it won’t damage my bag.

I never thought about the washing machine, going to try that next time. Currently I just wash with soap and water and let it air dry.

I just rinse with hot water. A bag will take on a tan patina depending on the color of grain your mashing.

I always am afraid the washing machine may twist up and damage a bag...

I do the same with my Wilser bag. I do pretty much all pales, so the bag has stayed fairly while. I mostly just try to make sure all the grain is rinsed off.

Washing machine seems way overkill. Even soap doesn't seem that necessary. What's the issue with dumping the grain and then thoroughly rinsing everything out? Your mash is getting boiled so germs shouldn't be a problem. It's not like the new grain you put into it is clean & sterile anyways.

My bag was looking a bit ratty after about 100 brews but that's not bad going for a $10 bag. I just give it a warm rinse and hang to dry each time. It honestly never occurred to me to actually clean it with cleaner but oxy or pbw or even bleach would be fine I'm sure (followed by rinse of course).

I do the same with my Wilser bag. I do pretty much all pales, so the bag has stayed fairly while. I mostly just try to make sure all the grain is rinsed off.

Speaking of Wilser bags....I am 75+ brews on my bag and hop bag and they are still going strong. I keep thinking I need to buy some spares, but I have spares already and never seem to need them. Are these things made of kevlar? LOL

Last edited:
You don't even need to go mad with rinsing. Just get the big clumps off, leave to dry then shake it outside. When dry all the little grain flakes just fly right off.

Exactly this.

As long as you rinse off in good time (I always rinse mine immediately after dumping the grains), it’ll stay pretty clean and really easy to shake out when it’s dry.

Wash the bag?!?! What sort of evil voodoo ritual is this? Lol

I rinse the bag in warm water, turning it inside out to get all the grain boogies out, then hang to dry. No soap, no Oxy. Same thing with the hop sock. Sure they are a little brown and green, but so? The beer dosn’t mind the bag color, so why should I?

Whenever I have used a bag I just rinse it off with hot water and hang it up to air dry. One time I got lazy and didn't clean it right away which resulted in me coming back to a moldy mess. Never again...

so I have done a search on this, and have seen some old post on the matter. But I am looking for currant info. How do you clean your bag? If you wash it in you washing machine do you use soap? If you just rinse and hang dry ( which is what I do for now)... does the bag get washed after every 20 brews, or just as needed?

Reason for the inquire is because I have noticed black spot on the outer edge of my bag.. and I’m not sure the best practice to clean my Windsor Bag ( spelling might be off, a few sheets under the wind)

Thanks in advance..
I rinse mine out with the hot water from the chiller. I air dry it a bit and then store it in my beer fridge where it dries further. It never gets mildew that way.

I have been using the same bag about 10 years.

I rinse the grain stickies off with a hose, then I just put it in hot water and let it soak for a while. Hang it up over the shower rod to air dry.
It has a tan color....but who cares?

Tried the washing machine for the first time. Washed and dried it on the delicate cycles. My wife buys the laundry detergent without any perfumes or dyes so didn't have to worry about that. Looks clean and don't see any damage. I did rinse it off first to get the grain out of it.

I spray the grain off with a hose, then give it a quick dunk and swish in with the cleaner I've mixed up for the rest of my gear. Quick rinse with the hose again and then I hang it to dry.

I have just chucked it straight in the washing machine and had my clothes come out covered in grain husks

I rinse mine immediately after use get as much grain off as I can in the sink and then I just hang it to dry seems to be working just fine

Back