Cleaning SS Anvil Brew Bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treacheroustexan

Reaction score
I’ve been using my stainless anvil brew bucket for a while now. After every fermentation, I’ll fill it up with a warm oxyclean solution and let it sit for a bit and then scrub it. It’s to the point now where there is some brown residue from fermentation that I just can’t scrub off. Last time I soaked it long term with oxy, it left a white residue around the bucket.

Is there a better solution I can use to give it a long soak to try and remove some of the residue I’m unable to scrub off by hand?

I also used to use Oxy Free. I since changed to PBW as it takes care of the beer stone (the brown deposit you are seeing) much better. PBW does have primarily oxy in it, but has other additives like TSP 90. There’s a thread that talks about making your own if you don’t want to pay the premium for PBW, so you can also have a search on that in the forums.

I have an Anvil bucket also and the stuff you see is beer stone. After soaking in detergent of some type overnight I rinse well and soak in sweetened Star-san. That is, I take the Star-san I have used for that batch and add back more to make it double strength. Then pour it into the bucket and let set for several hours. I have found a plastic milk crate works well to place the bucket in at an angle and turn it occasionally to get to the sides. You need acid to get rid of beer stone.

I have an Anvil bucket also and the stuff you see is beer stone. After soaking in detergent of some type overnight I rinse well and soak in sweetened Star-san. That is, I take the Star-san I have used for that batch and add back more to make it double strength. Then pour it into the bucket and let set for several hours. I have found a plastic milk crate works well to place the bucket in at an angle and turn it occasionally to get to the sides. You need acid to get rid of beer stone.

thank you. I’ll do an overnight soak with a strong batch of star san and see what happens.

You can try Craft Meister Alkaline Brewery Wash. Some users find it superior to PBW. I know that that it does work well.

More beer sells a 2 oz packet for $2.50.

Five Star has a product specifically made for removing beer stone and scale.

If you Starsan on hand already, try that as mentioned by others. That is what I used on my aluminum boil kettle.

Back