Cleaning multiple kegs with issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jplowe

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Today I was cleaning two kegs that I just purchased from an adventurous online brew shop. One keg looked like came from China and the other said Coca Cola right on the side. When I was finished cleaning with pbw, I then reassembled and didn't notice that one dip tube was longer than the other. So I noticed the dip tube starting to bend that I heard a scratching noise only to realize that the longer dip tube was scratching the bottom of the corny keg.

Has anyone else had this issue before? These were very used kids with dried coca-cola them I didn't realize that one would have a longer dip tube and one wouldn't have a co2 tube. Cheap kegs but was not expecting them dirty and missing parts. Also the posts but did not work on the each other. Man was I frustrated!

On the missing/dysfunctional parts, I'd contact said "adventurous online brew shop" (<= cute - I like it ;)) and get them to square things away.

I wouldn't worry much about scratches from a dip tube.
Stainless on stainless isn't going to be that big a deal...

Cheers!

I have 8 old and dented corny kegs that I picked up for scrap metal value and only 2 of them were workable as is. I soaked the **** out of them with pbw and had to replace the seals and popits to get most of them to hold co2. it was pretty scary throwing the first beer into them but they all worked out ok (even the one that was open and caked with solidified moldy pepsi syrup). I've been using them for 4 years and haven't had any obvious infections (but I never leave them full of beer at room temp and most things won't ruin a beer at fridge temps) When you clean a keg, don't be half-assed about it. Take them apart, boil the rubber bits, star san the pieces and reassemble wet. Do this every time as you are entrusting it with an entire batch of beer.

jplowe, sounds like you might have one pin lock and one ball lock kegs, that would account for the difference in the length of the the dip tubes. agree with day trippr said "adventurous online brew shop" should make things right with missing parts. clean them up real good get all the right parts for each keg, fill them up then pull a cold one, happy brewing:)

I contacted them and they wanted pics of the co2 hole so he could determine if it needed a plastic or metal dip tube. They did look taller than I remember my original pin lock was. Lots of issues with the kegs but if they hold pressure, it'll learn to love them for 35 a peice.

Latest posts

Back