Cleaning House: What should I brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pehlman17

Reaction score
So, I have a bunch of random bits of ingredients leftover from the past 6 months or so that I was thinking would be fun to throw together in one Frankenstein's monster of a beer. Here's what I have:
- 1/2 lb. each of Golden Naked Oats, Chocolate Rye, and Midnight Wheat
- 2 lbs of Golden Promise
- 3 lbs Briess Golden Light DME
- 1 lb. Briess Traditional Dark DME
- 1 lb. pouch of D-180 syrup.

Using all of these, I can brew up 4 gallons of something around 1.065 OG. Clearly it would be something quite dark. I've been starting to experiment with dry yeasts lately and was thinking maybe this could be a fun opportunity to try a new yeast strain. On my list of strains to try soon has been Verdant, BRY-97, and Abbaye from Lallemand. Any suggestions of what might be a fun route to go "style" wise (in the loosest sense of the word)?

Cheers! :bigmug:

All the Oats, GP, light DME and D180. A little smidge of chocolate rye and ferment with abbaye. Bitter and aroma additions of saaz. Pick your gravity and adjust volume to meet that. Mash a little warm, all the D180 will ferment out.

Certainly a mushup but what I think would taste best.

All the Oats, GP, light DME and D180. A little smidge of chocolate rye and ferment with abbaye. Bitter and aroma additions of saaz. Pick your gravity and adjust volume to meet that. Mash a little warm, all the D180 will ferment out.

Certainly a mushup but what I think would taste best.
Sounds good!

Pick some of the recipes you are most familiar with and have done successfully. Substitute in some or all of what you have and see what differences they make.

Back