Cleaning, de-labeling bottles.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4arrows

Reaction score
I am looking to bottle my first batch of brew this weekend.

What is the best or preferred method of removing labels from and cleaning 50+ commercial bottles and getting them ready to sanitize?

Best method is to rinse immediately after drinking and dry upside down.

If you have a dishwasher, you can throw them in there and run them through without cleaner. Otherwise, you'll have to get down with a bottle brush and some PBW or Oxy Free.

As for the labels, I do a quick soak in Oxy free (~10 mins), then go at them with a steel scrubby pad. Takes them right off, glue and all.

I second what Psylocide says, but when it come to removing labels I take a little more time. If you can spare the time, just let the bottles sit in the Oxy free water for a couple days. Make sure if you are using Oxyclean, to use the one that has no fragrance and stuff. Depending on the kind of label it will literally fall off the bottle as you lift the bottle and all I have to do is rinse the glue off with warm water. you may have to do some scrubbing, but there is not that much effort.

I use PBW, but oxyclean free will do just as well. I learned which bottle labels come off easy, & chuck the ones that are stubborn, like Great Lakes & some other craft beer labels. I soak'em in a five gallon bucket of PBW till the labels float off. This also soaks the inside gunk loose as well. Then I scrub the inside with a bottle brush & get the outside softened glue off with a Dobie brand scrubber. rinse & onto the bottle tree to dry before storage.

Straight edge razor in a plastic holder (found at any automotive shop) makes quick work of any label. After a short soak, it takes the glue and everything right off.

Back