Cleaning Chugger pump?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danb35

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just bought a SS head Chugger pump to recirculate my BIAB. What's the best way to clean/sanitize it? Should I just recirculate some PBW solution, or do I need to tear down the pump head every time to clean it? Or something in between?

I run it while flushing/cleaning the keggle and then circulate clean boiling water (heated via E-BIAB) through it and the plate chiller for about 10 min. Every third batch or so, I'll use some PBW (the DIY version) in the cleaning process.

I also run wort through it and the chiller the last 10 min of the boil since I recirculate while chilling.

Is there a time that you should take the pump head apart for proper cleaning or is that even necessary? Mine's only been used once and all I did for cleaning was run boiling water through it for about 10 minutes at the end of brew day.

I saw a thread where someone took apart their cheap pump and found fuzzy stuff. I took my chugger apart to find it spotless. I run oxiclean through it after each brewday which seems to be enough.

You really should take it apart after every brew. Stuff can get stuck in there, and they're not sanitary pumps which are designed to clean-in-place.

I've started a brew session, hooked up all my hoses and started pumping water to find a few feet of black slime and mold, so +1 on cleaning as much as possible.

Also, the pump heads are REALLY easy to take off and clean, so it's no harder then scrubbing your pots at the end of a brew day.

Back