cleaning brew pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakedasnake

Reaction score
So i just picked up an aluminum 60 Qt brew pot from a guy on craigslist and it didnt have to good of a smell to it so i started cleaning it and stupid me didnt even think to come on here and read the best way to clean it so i figured i would use oxyclean/ chlorine free. but now that i come and read on here people say that this will oxidize the aluminum, did i mess up my brew pot already and if so is there anyway i can fix this problem.
cheers

I used oxyclean the first 5 times I brewed in my alumnium pot. It is fine and I still use it.

I now clean my aluminum kettle with a simple sponge and dishsoap and rinse it a few times.

I would do that with yours and then try boiling a few gallons of water if you are concerned about a smell or bacteria. Keep in mind, the brewkettle is where you boil and the boiling temps will kill bacteria.

I don't ever sanitize my kettle anymore and have NEVER had an issue.

Hope this helps.

Back