Cleaning bottles headache

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diptherunner

Reaction score
Hello all. I am a new brewer and I am about to bottle my first batch. I have a big collection of crud free bottles already. I usually soak them in oxyclean to de-label and clean them. I know they need to be sanitized now. I did a batch in my dishwasher this morning, but they smell like chlorine now. What does everyone else do to not have smelly bottles? Star San rinse? Help!

Did you use detergent in the dish washer? Or is your municipal water full of chlorine? If it is your water and it is that noticeable, I hope you are not using it for your brewing (or are carbon filtering it). My water tastes pretty chloriney, so I use bottled spring water to brew, but I use my dishwasher to sanitize all my bottles (without detergent) and have never noticed a problem.

I'm not sure what do do with the bottles now..maybe soaking them in starsan would work...but I'd definitely be hesitant to use anything that smelled strongly of chlorine. Hopefully someone else will have a more experienced suggestion.

I always soak in oxyclean then use starsan, they seem to cancel each other out nicely.
Starsan might work, it's worth a shot anyways.

Justintoxicated said:
I always soak in oxyclean then use starsan, they seem to cancel each other out nicely.
Starsan might work, it's worth a shot anyways.

Do you rinse the oxyclean before starsan?

Did you ever use chlorine to soak the bottles? If you did, but didn't rinse afterwards, there's a good chance that they will smell of chlorine after being exposed to water.
If this is the case, then a good soak in hot water, followed by a rinse should get rid of the problem.

-a.

If you washed in the dishwasher with detergent then most likely the chlorine detergent got up in the bottles but did not get thoroughly rinsed.

IMO I do not think star San will eliminate the problem. I would soak in OXY and use a bottle brush, rinse really well and I think it would be gone:)

soak them in a little starsan and bottle away... I make a nice bucket full... put the bottle in there and give them a little stir...

Back