Cleaned Stainless Steel Kettle with Bleach solution....Oops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamjackson

Reaction score
I had no idea this was not okay. I soaked my 5 gallon kettle overnight in the sink full of 1 ounce of bleach then, next morning scrubbed it with steel wool.

It came out clean but, of course is very scratched up. I don't mind scratches on pots I'm going to be using. That's a part of wear and tear but today I read you can't clean with bleach (while reading a steel keg article about using kegs instead of bottles).

My kettle looks fine minus the scratches, a tiny bit of oxidation but not terrible. did I just ruin my kettle? Is it never to be used again?

:confused:

A) Don't use bleach on Stainless as you have already read.
B) Don't use steel wool. It can damage the metal and cause rust even on stainless.

You should be fine. Use a plastic or stainless scrubber and oxyclean or other similar type cleaner. If you do notice rust or other issues you can get some barkeepers friend for cleaning. One time of bleach and steel wool shouldn't ruin it.

You also want to avoid steelwool on stainless. Use the scrubbies made with stainless or just the 3M green jobbies otherwise you scratch the stainless and then embed steel in the scratches which will then rust. When all else fails RAHAHB!!! Check out posts on Oxyclean as a cleaner if you are not already aware of it.

Okay. I'l oxyclean for now, if rust forms, get barkeeper's friend which I have already. If all else fails I needed a larger kettle anyway for when I go all grain :)

You can always treat with an acid Passivator. But the Oxi and green scrubbies should be good enough for this.

You'll want to keep that kettle for AG as well. It will still have many uses. I like to keep mine for doing BIAB batches during the cold dead of winter on the stove. Full boil Half Batches.

Back