Clarification on starters.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trooper-Orange

Reaction score
Ok so I am doing my homework and reading John Palmers book. On my first brew I intend to do a starter.

I am reading about starters here: How to Brew - By John Palmer - Preparing Yeast and Yeast Starters

I am confused about one thing. So I will be using a Wyeast Propagator 1214 smack pack.

From my understanding you want to use the same extract for your starter that you are going to use in your brew correct?

I chose a kit that uses an LME, no DME, don't know if that makes a difference.

Also ideally you want your starter kept at the same temperature you intend to ferment at, is that accurate?

It makes no difference what you make it with. I use DME since its easy to store and measure. If you have a little extra DME in the kit, thats ok too.

I do starters at room temp. There isn't any need to temp control them unless your room temperature is really hot or really cold.

I wouldnt say it makes no difference what you use, for example, I wouldnt use sugar, but you get the gist.

A quick FYI though, 1214 is a SLLLOOOOOWWWWW starter. Real slow. Even with a starter I would expect at least 24 hours before your beer starts to ferment. Possibly longer.

I typically get the beginnings of fermentation at 4 hours with my system and with 1214 I didnt get any noticeable fermentation until 24+ hours.

I wouldnt say it makes no difference what you use, for example, I wouldnt use sugar, but you get the gist.

A quick FYI though, 1214 is a SLLLOOOOOWWWWW starter. Real slow. Even with a starter I would expect at least 24 hours before your beer starts to ferment. Possibly longer.

I typically get the beginnings of fermentation at 4 hours with my system and with 1214 I didnt get any noticeable fermentation until 24+ hours.

Thanks for the heads up, that will probably prevent a post from me saying some FNG thing like "It isn't fermenting yet, please help!" LOL ;)

Latest posts

Back