Citrusy APA/IPA w/Mandarina Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarEagleBrewer

Reaction score
I'm looking to make something hoppy and citrusy that isn't very high in alcohol. I'm looking for a little help with the hop schedule. Please critique and opine at will. I'm open to suggestion on timing and amount, but not ingredients. Thanks! (edit) This is a 5.5 gallon batch.

Water adjusted in Brun Water

9lbs Pale 2-Row
1lb Vienna
8oz wheat malt
8 oz caramel 60L

1/2oz Citra@ 60mins
1/2oz Chinook@ 60mins

1/4oz Chinook@ 10mins
1/4oz Cascade@ 10mins
1/4oz Citra@ 10mins
1/2oz Mandarina Bavaria@ 10mins

1/2oz Mandarina steep for 20mins @ 170degrees
1/4oz each Cascade, Chinook, Citra steep 20mins@ 170degrees

1oz Mandarina Dry hop for 5 days
1.5oz Cascade Dry hop for 5 days

This gets me to 70.8 IBU's and 1.057 OG in beer smith. I use a BIAB/Batch Sparge hybrid method and have been overshooting my OG numbers lately, probably because my grist is fine as flour! This should get me in the 5.5-6.5% abv range.

I'm also considering using 1084 Irish Ale yeast just to mix things up a bit (It's handy since I'll be making a starter I can split for a small stout at the same time). Or....maybe S-05. IDK.

What ya'll think? Too busy?

Last edited:
I'd probably try and simplify the hops a little but. Use Magnum (or some other neutral bittering hop) to get your bittering IBU's at 60 min. The 1/2oz of MB at 10min will be totally overpowered by those others at the amounts you have listed (I'd probably drop the Citra entirely). Also, use at least 3oz of MB to dry hop.

Thanks. Dropping the 10min Citra makes sense. I haven't used MB yet, but I heard it is delicate. I don't buy hops in bulk, so part of me is trying to be a cheap ass and not buy more than I HAVE to. Thanks for your response.

Most of what I've read about MB has said that it is a disappointing dry hop. If it were me, I'd put all of the MB in the whirlpool, which supposedly maximizes the orangey flavors.

Back