Citrus Braggot Attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davarei

Reaction score
OK. I like Mead :cross:
and I like big beers like Imperial Stouts :drunk:
So I just put in the primary, what I'm calling a compromise brew :fro:
...not quite 51% honey = please forgive me for still calling it Braggot :(

I used Brew Assistant on my Droid to work the #'s...
as it's gonna be a first attempt, I shot for just over 2 gal.

Citrus Braggot
target: 2.5 gal with a partial mash
OG: 1.134 / FG: 1.033 / ABV: 13.2%
SRM: 41 / IBU (Rager): 61
-------------------------------------
Fermentables:, (Weight, Color, Grist)

Munton's Extra Light LME, 4 Lb, 3*L = 40%
Clover Honey, 2 Lb, 0 = 20%
Orange Blossom Honey, 2 Lb, 0 = 20%
Roasted Barley (Grain), 1 Lb, 300*L = 10%
Flaked Maize (Grain), 1 Lb, 1*L = 10%

Hops
--
Pacifica 1oz, 60 min, IBU: 61

Yeast
--
Safbrew S-33

Misc. (added to secondary)
--
zest 1 or 2 lemons
zest 2 or 3 oranges

--------------------------------------------
roughly 4 hours before pitch time, used 2 Qt mason jar, 2 cups water 1/2 cup honey and yeast for semi starter. Covered with lose foil (note below!)

brought 2 gal upto 155* with the barley and maize for 25 min. (in grain bag)= shot for 20, but forgot to get my .5 gal upto boil to sparge, so extra 5 min.

stirred in the LME and brought back to boil and removed .5 gal to 2nd pot.
added hops (in sock) to the 2 gal boil for 60 minutes

stirred in honey (- 1/2 cup in starter) into the .5 gal in 2nd pot to dissolve.
45 min. into the boil added the .5 gal of honey mix into the 2 gal.

Cooled with my contraption (note description below) to just under 70*, frothed with a whisk and pitched the yeast.

IMG_20140330_143019_563.jpg

WHAAAAA!!!! and switched the bubbler to a hose and mason jar 12 hours later because those little guys were happy!

The starter (note) ~ I boiled the water, added the 1/2 cup honey and cooled to maybe 70* +/- (bath temp in hand) and set on the table where it bubbled over moments later. But not too bad ...

Cooling contraption = 15" 3/8th copper tube made into coil, two 2' sections of tube, a fountain pump from harbor freight ($8), and a sink full of ice and water.
~ I place the 4 gal SS pot in the sink, fill the sink with a bag of ice and water around the pot roughly to the same level as the wort in the pot.
~ place sterile coil in the wort and pump COLD water through the coil and into the other sink. * don't touch the water pumping through for a few minutes = DANG HOT!
~ add water and ice as needed while gently stirring the wort.
...cools pretty quick. After a few minutes, you can feel the water flowing out of the coil to get a rough idea of temp. when it feels like batch water = 100*'ish... when it feels like a cold bath, use thermometer to check wort.
...remember to stir so the wort can maximize contact with outer edge of pot and coil...

Sorry, got sidetracked with work...

OK. So my plan is to leave that in the primary for 2 weeks and rack to a secondary fermenter for maybe a month.
When I rack from 1st to 2nd, I may add champagne yeast to push for a FG closer to 20.

After the 2nd ferment, I'm going to hopefully barrel age it for a year while I deploy.
Else, bottle age with bourbon soaked oak chips for a year.

SO = you all will have to wait till I get back to find out how it works!
... I'll post gravity measures between each stage though

Oh yeah... The bubbler in the pic was full of vodka to begin. And I drank the sweet malty honey vodka.
Nice!

When I replaced the top, I pulled the entire bung and... replaced with new bung and nipple to hose. So as to minimize open air time and risk of contamination from frothed over bubbler and bung.

Latest posts

Back