American Pale Ale Citra Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hoping someone can help answer this...

Has anyone ever used Galaxy as a bittering hop and then pure citra for this brew instead of the Citra/Cascade blend throughout?

I think the Galaxy would play nice with Citra, but not sure...

Hoping someone can help answer this...

Has anyone ever used Galaxy as a bittering hop and then pure citra for this brew instead of the Citra/Cascade blend throughout?

I think the Galaxy would play nice with Citra, but not sure...

Galaxy is very similar to Citra (I've heard it described as Citra without the cat pee smell/taste.). It's also harder to get, so I wouldn't waste it for bittering.

I tasted mine last night. It was fantastic and easily the best Pale Ale I've made. The only thing I changed was that I used Wyeast 1332, Northwest Ale yeast.

I think I have enough Citra left to make another batch, otherwise I'll have to find some.

:mug:

Anyone want to share the Citra/Galaxy pale ale recipe?? I have both hops on hand and a pale ale homebrew club comp coming up!

Thanks for the awesome recipe, I went with my gut and brewed 10 gallons. This was a huge hit, and my favorite pale ale recipe to date. I'm very excited to have 5 gallons on standby.

I started off planning to brew this recipe, but it morphed into this...

Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 3 gallons
Est. Efficiency: 65% (brew house)

ESTIMATED STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.052
Final Gravity: 1.012
ABV (standard): 5.25%
IBU (rager): 37.91
SRM (morey): 6.69

FERMENTABLES:
4 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Extra Light - (late addition) (50%)
1.5 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (18.8%)
1 lb - Belgian - Munich (12.5%)
8 oz - American - Caramel / Crystal 40L (6.3%)
8 oz - American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (6.3%)
8 oz - United Kingdom - Golden Naked Oats (6.3%)

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Nelson Sauvin for 60 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 12.5, IBU: 28.85)

0.25 oz - Nelson Sauvin for 10 min, Type: Leaf/Whole, Use: Boil (AA 12.5, IBU: 3.14)
1 oz - Summer for 10 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 5.9, IBU: 5.92)

0.25 oz - Nelson Sauvin for 0 min, Type: Leaf/Whole, Use: Boil (AA 12.5)
1 oz - Summer for 0 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 5.9)

1 oz - Nelson Sauvin for 7 days, Type: Pellet, Use: Dry Hop (AA 12.5)
1 oz - Summer for 7 days, Type: Pellet, Use: Dry Hop (AA 5.9)

MASH STEPS:
1) Temp: 154 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 5.5 qt

YEAST:
White Labs - California Ale Yeast WLP001

I'm going to have to try this soon. Looks like I have everything on hand except for the Munich. Could I replace that with Vienna?

I'm going to have to try this soon. Looks like I have everything on hand except for the Munich. Could I replace that with Vienna?

Should be fine. This reciepe was a huge hit. I even found a keg I aged because I forgot about it and it was damn tasty after 9 months.

Calculated at 77% efficiency.

Ingredients:

10.0 lb 2-Row Brewers Malt
.5 lb American Vienna
.5 lb American Munich
.5 lb Crystal Malt 40°L

.5 oz Magnum (14.5%) - 60 min
.25 oz Citra (11.1%) - 10.0 min
.25 oz Cascade (5.5%) - 10.0 min
.25 oz Citra (11.1%) - 1.0 min
.25 oz Cascade (5.5%) - 1.0 min
.25 oz Citra (11.1%) - 0.0 min (added to whirlpool)
.25 oz Cascade (5.5%) - 0.0 min (added to whirlpool)
1.0 oz Citra (11.1%) - dry hop
1.0 oz Cascade (5.5%) - dry hop

Mash at 154 for 60 minutes. All pellet hops.

This one came out great. It's nice and bold with peachy and orange zest flavors, a big citrus hoppy aroma, and a nicely balanced bitterness. Dropped very clear after cold crashing and kegging (the picture doesnt depict the clarity properly, it's clear and bright in the glass).

img0428xl.jpg
I kegged this 2 weeks ago and it's really good. Like you suggested, I swapped Biscuit for Vienna but I used a full 1oz of Magnum for bittering. Other than that, I followed your recipe. The aroma of the Citra is amazing and the full ounce of Magnum gives it just enough bitterness. I think Beersmith gave it 50 IBU (I'm not at home so I don't have Beersmith in front of me). Thanks for the ideas! It's perfect now that it's warming up outside. I'll be making this again.

Bottled mine last night after dry-hopping for 7 days. This is awesome! I bumped up the grains a bit, subbed Vienna for the Munich. OG 1.067 FG 1.013. Sure glad I have more Citra in the freezer, This batch won't last long!

brewed this over memorial day weekend, and killed the keg yesterday in about 4 hours! fantastic recipe (from the first post) that will go into regular rotation. thanks for sharing! :)

referred to this by a friend. the previous poster actually. I'm brewing this today. Now actually.

PS Madethelflint smells like feet.

Seems like this is a well received recipe...

Curious if anyone has used any yeast variants...

WLP007?
S04?
WLP051?

Tried this with slight alterations today.

Subbed base grain with 11# of MO, bittered with .50 oz Warrior (LHBS out of Magnum), and used Centennial/Simcoe as my 10,1,0 and dry additions. Rehydrated some S05 and pitched a little warm.

I'm trying to create a nice house pale ale to go on tap in my new keezer. Will post how it turns out.

Brewed this last weekend WLP001 got it from 1.048 to 1.006 in 4 days. Transferred it to Secondary today, I'll let you know how it turns out.

I'm liking the sound of this!.. Probably with maris otter & biscuit. Anyone think this could be kegged & drinkable within 3 weeks targeted at 1.050? I've never tried anything under 6 weeks before, so I haven't a clue.

Tried this with slight alterations today.

Subbed base grain with 11# of MO, bittered with .50 oz Warrior (LHBS out of Magnum), and used Centennial/Simcoe as my 10,1,0 and dry additions. Rehydrated some S05 and pitched a little warm.

I'm trying to create a nice house pale ale to go on tap in my new keezer. Will post how it turns out.

Took an unreasonably early sample at 8 days. Numbers are perfect, 1.012 or 1.013 temp corrected. Pretty happy at hitting 1051 and 1013 on my first true all grain.

Sample was cloudy and obviously needs more time. Kind of wish I had dumped in some more hops late, but maybe the dry hop will bring out some of the hop flavor.

Got a slight corn or grainy taste that I had in 1 or 2 of my BIAB attempts. Could be DMS? I usually boil pretty vigorously with an SQ14 so that doesn't seem right.

At any rate, sample was really clean tasting and this should turn out good with the right age behind it.

I brewed a 2.5 gal batch of this a few weeks ago and bottled it up today. The smell of that beer when I put it in the bottling bucket was dynamite. I usually dont care for the warm, flat hydrometer samples, but this one was pretty tasty. I just hate that I have to wait a couple more weeks to enjoy this beer in all its glory. I'm also kicking myself for making a half batch.

I just did a batch very similar to this recipe. I was not all that happy with the results. The one thing mine was missing was bitter. I used citra at 60 thinking it would do the trick, no such luck. I think im gonna run it again with chinook initially. The other issue is i ended up with no head retention. Im pretty sure it has to do with the bran new brew kettle I used. I must not have cleaned it as will as I thought and had some oils or something in there.

11 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row)
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine
0.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 19.4 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [6.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 5 4.8 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 9.6 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [6.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35.49 ml] Yeast 9 -
1.00 oz Cascade [6.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop

My batch is finished conditioning, and I picked up a funny taste in mine during secondary and bottling. It was almost a nail polish flavor. I had MadEthelFlint's kegged version and it was outstanding,mine is not nearly as good. I wonder if I picked up an infection. My fermentation lagged a bit, partly do to poor aeration due to intoxication. I'm wondering if I infected it or its oxygenation from splashing of somesort in bottling.

some bottles are OK, some bottles are meh. Its drinkable. I'm sure i screwed something up somewhere. I will have to re-brew this to make sure I didn't screw it up somewhere

I have a cake right now and an open # od Citra, might have to brew this

Back