Citra IPA recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fathand

Reaction score
I've not used Citra yet and would like to brew an IPA that showcases the tropical flavors of this hop.

How's this look?

6 gallon batch

90% 2 row
5% Munich
3% Crystal 80L
2% Crystal 20L

Mash at 152

FWH .5 citra
60 .5 amarillo
20 .5 citra
5 1 citra
DH .5 citra

Yeast WLP007 - I've picked this yeast because I plan to use this cake for a big barleywine

What are your OG/FG and calculated IBUs for this?

In our hop-crazed age, and for a 6 gallon batch, that looks like a small quantity of hops for something to be called an American IPA. 3 ounces is too low. In fact it looks light on hops even for an APA. I think doubling (or even tripling) that hop schedule would make more of an impression. Citra is strong, and it's high in alpha acids, but you still need MORE!

The grain bill looks about right to me, although the flavor of C80 might be a little dark for some people's tastes. You could also consider using a small quantity of sugar in place of some of the 2-row if you want to ensure dryness.

Never used WLP007 before, but looks like a good choice.

I've found that the simpler the recipe the better. It may not be true in all cases but I think it works most of the time.

Anyway I'd try

X amount of 2 row to hit gravity
Maybe a 1/2 to a pound of Munich I typically don't use it, I like pale ale malt
1 lbs of Crystal 40 or Crystal 60 (I prefer Crystal 40, if you add Munich definitely Crystal 40)
I'd use all Citra save the Amarillo for an all Amarillo pale ale or something like that.
I typically shoot for a gravity of about 1.060 and about 60 IBUs. I like to hop burst, use a small charge of a high alpha acid hop like Warrior to bitter and then add everything else at 20, 15 and 5 or flameout. Or some variation of that.

:mug:

Brian

What are your OG/FG and calculated IBUs for this?

The calculator I use has this at:
OG 1.062
FG 1.016
IBU 47
SRM 8
ABV 5.9

bschot I considered just using just Crystal 40 but recently read an article specifically on IPAs that suggests you can get a more "complex" malt flavor by mixing various crystal malts as apposed to using a single one. Thinking of giving it a try on this recipe.

Funny you list Warrior as the bittering hop as I was considering it. Re-reading the description of Amarillo I think you might be right and Warrior being a better choice. Also might try Galaxy.

I agree with more and different malts can make a beer more complex but I'm always worried about making "brown beer." I guess I like to play it safe. Also I have had an all Galaxy IPA, I don't remember who made it, that was fantastic. Anyway, no matter what you decide I'd like to hear how it turns out.

:mug:

Brian

I agree with motorneuron, more hops!! I usually use 4-5 ounces in the boil and 3 ounces of dry hops for a hoppy american IPA. Style guidelines for an IPA are 40-70 ibus, so you are on the low side. Be aware its not recommended to reuse a yeast cake with lots of hop oils. I usually use an ounce or so of a high alpha hop like Bravo or Columbus at 60 minutes, an ounce at 20 minutes, then after flameout chill down to 180 then add 3 ounces of flameout hops with a 20 minute hop steep and then later 3 ounces of dry hops for 1 week. Loads of hop flavor and aroma!

I've not used Citra yet and would like to brew an IPA that showcases the tropical flavors of this hop.

How's this look?

6 gallon batch

90% 2 row
5% Munich
3% Crystal 80L
2% Crystal 20L

Mash at 152

FWH .5 citra
60 .5 amarillo
20 .5 citra
5 1 citra
DH .5 citra

Yeast WLP007 - I've picked this yeast because I plan to use this cake for a big barleywine

Looks like a beer that will be fairly pale to amber, medium bitterness, with some citrus hop flavor and aroma.

But you already knew that... ??

Cheers!

Be aware its not recommended to reuse a yeast cake with lots of hop oils.

In addition to this, a 1.062 beer is on the high side for creating a yeast cake for your next big beer. You want the first batch to actually be fairly low gravity to minimize stress on the yeast, so that they are robust and healthy for the next fermentation. Essentially all you are looking for from that first batch is to encourage population growth with as little strain on the little guys as possible.
I understand wanting to pitch onto a cake for a big beer such as a barleywine (although some people say you should never do this; just wash the yeast and make a starter, which isn't difficult, it just requires planning a little in advance). However, I think if your cake comes from a hop-heavy 1.062 wort, you will run a big risk of your yeast either creating off flavors in your barleywine, or giving up the ghost entirely and leaving you with a stuck fermentation.

With that said, definitely treat yourself to a Citra IPA. There's a reason that this hop is so popular!

I appreciate all the advice. With that I think I am going take this IPA and scale it down to a Pale Ale of sorts. That should address the OG and hop oil issues that could arise with reusing the cake. Figured what the hell and will go with all citra too.

New recipe…

6 gallon batch

86% 2 row
8% Munich
4% Crystal 20L
2% Crystal 80L

Mash at 152

60 .5 citra
20 .5 citra
5 .5 citra
DH 2 citra

OG 1.050
FG 1.013
IBU 38
SRM 7
ABV 4.8

Yum! I like the idea of compensating for less hops in the boil by doing a comparatively big ole dry hop in secondary. It will be a different type of hop contribution, but I bet that will have a beautiful kick-in-the-nose aroma. Interested to hear how it comes out!

This brew day ended up being pretty big as 3 others guys decided to brew with my friend and I. Ended up brewing 3 different batches resulting in 25+ gallons of beer.

This recipe got scaled up and tweaked in the process. Here's what we ended up brewing...

11 gallon batch

88% 2 row
6% Munich Light
4% Crystal 20L
2% Crystal 80L

Mash at 152 for 60 mins

60 1.5 galaxy
10 1.0 citra
0 1.0 citra
0 0.5 galaxy
DH 4.0 citra

OG 1.054
FG 1.014
IBU 27
SRM 7
ABV 5.2%

It been in primary a week and I plan to let it sit for another 2 weeks then DH for 7 days and bottle.

Tastes really good right now. Nice tropical nose on it.

Back