Citra IPA recipe critique/suggestion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyg

Reaction score
Looking for a nice spring summer IPA. Came across the below recipe.Thinking of cutting dry hop to 1 oz. any critique or addition?

5 gallon batch

IBUs: 78

ABV: 7.5

MALT/GRAIN BILL
8 lb (3.6 kg) Pale liquid malt extract
1 lb (454 g) Crystal 10 malt
0.5 lb (227 g) Munich malt

HOPS SCHEDULE
1 oz (28 g) Citra at 60 minutes
1 oz (28 g) Citra at 30 minutes
1 oz (28 g) Citra at 15 minutes
1 oz (28 g) Citra at 0 minutes
2 oz (57 g) Citra at dry hop

YEAST

1 packet Safale S-05

Sent from my iPhone

I did about this but AG.

2 row and 5% carapills

55 ibu abd heavy on the late hops.

It was OK but I won't make it again.

I don't know what it needs but it needed more complexity.

Good flavor but, needs something else more

I agree. Drop the 30 min addition and save it for end. Either 10, or 0.

When I brew mine I use Warrior at 60 to get the IBU I'm after then, add 15,10,5 and 0 additions. Dry hop in the primary for 5 days using whole hops.

I can't make the stuff fast enough. Everyone loves Citra. :mug:

I would change one thing. Citra is great on its own, the flavour and aroma are outstanding.

I make something similar. But I don't do any hop additions till the last 15 mins of the boil... So additions at 15, 10, 5 and 0. You need a lot more hops to get to the ibus you want, but the end result is unbelievable! Try it!

Oh and most certainly don't cut on the dry hop!

I'd use something like Columbus or Warrior for the bittering addition - the unique flavor of Citra will get lost as a 60 minute addition. And I second moving the 30 minute addition to later. Otherwise, looks good!

Started playing with a 30 min whirlpool at 180deg. Love it. Maybe move 30 & 60 min addition there and change bittering as suggested above?

I can give Columbus or warrior a try @ 60.
I have never used warrior before.
Columbus I used once, seem to add citrusy/spice if I remember.

I am in need of a simple, hoppy IPA for spring and this recipe seemed simplistic enough.
I am also not sure that I can get whole hops at LHBS. Think I can only get pellets.

Thanks for feedback

I suggest using mosaic along with the citra, the combo is delicious

if you've ever had a Deschute's Fresh Squeezed IPA, you'll know what I mean. they use nugget for bittering, but I'm sure columbus, warrior, magnum or amarillo would do

My only recommendation is be careful with Citra, it's more powerful then any aromatic hop out there.

I would do 30-15-5-DH (all in reasonable dosages and aim for 60 IBUs). That's how i like mine

People who use too much witness the tomato juice aspect of a Citra overdose

drop the crystal, unless you dont like citra

using citra (or even amarillo, which is more expensive these days?!) as a bittering hop is brewing blasphemy. Use literally anything else you can find for the bittering addition. Id use 4oz saaz for bittering in an IPA before I wasted my citra on it. Hell, id use a bucket of pine cones. dont do it

agree with moving the 30min addition elsewhere. You wont taste it, youll wont get much bitterness from it, whats the point? Save it for a whirlpool addition or hopstand

Looks good overall.

I would use warrior to bitter instead of citra. Warrior is a great, clean bittering hop - basically use it in every IPA I brew almost for 60 minute addition. I would also drop the 30 minute citra and throw it in after flameout, or in the dry hop.

agree with moving the 30min addition elsewhere. You wont taste it, youll wont get much bitterness from it, whats the point? Save it for a whirlpool addition or hopstand

Come on... 0.2 oz of Citra won't hurt your finances :fro:

Nothing more I can add, really, that is different from the great advice you've already gotten. I agree on not using citra @60. I typically use warrior or columbus (maybe nugget) for my 60 bittering. Also a HUGE fan of the whirlpool/hopstand addition (thanks m00ps). I would also at least double the dry hop. My last IPA was around a 2-3 oz. dry hop and in the end I wish I would have done more. I've got an IIPA in primary now that I will be dry hopping with about 7 ounces total (citra and nelson) split into two dry hops.

Citra is AWESOME for dry hopping. I dry hopped a 2.5 gallon split batch IPA with 1.5oz and i think it easily should have had MORE in the dry hop!

Looking for a nice spring summer IPA. Came across the below recipe.Thinking of cutting dry hop to 1 oz. any critique or addition?

5 gallon batch

IBUs: 78

MALT/GRAIN BILL
1 lb (454 g) Crystal 10 malt
0.5 lb (227 g) Munich malt

HOPS SCHEDULE
1 oz (28 g) Citra at 60 minutes
1 oz (28 g) Citra at 30 minutes

YEAST

1 packet Safale S-05

Sent from my iPhone

Similar to 3 floyds zombie dust:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=303478

I would swap you Munich and Crystal 10 amounts to be 1 lb. Munich and 0.5 lb. Crystal 10. FWIW some find the use of any crystal at all to 'ruin' any ipa but I don't think you have anything to worry about by including a small amount. Just remember that it's your beer and you get to decide.

drop the crystal, unless you dont like citra

using citra (or even amarillo, which is more expensive these days?!) as a bittering hop is brewing blasphemy. Use literally anything else you can find for the bittering addition. Id use 4oz saaz for bittering in an IPA before I wasted my citra on it. Hell, id use a bucket of pine cones. dont do it

Thanks for info.
I think I will use Columbus @60
Move the 30min addition to whirlpool

But why drop the crystal?
I was confuse that the recipe called for 1# crystal & .5# Munich, considering it is an extract recipe.
But it came from a reputable publication so I figured they knew what they had in mind.

Yeah. Something else for bittering (I love nugget or magnum for IPAs) and do the boil additions at 20, 10, and 0. At LEAST 2 oz dry hop.
Also, drop the Munich malt. That stuff needs to be mashed. And make the crystal a 20 probably.
Ok now I'm thirsty.....

I wouldn't use Columbus with Citra, I don't think the black pepper works with the tropical tones, try Worrior or Magnum

Thanks for info.
I think I will use Columbus @60
Move the 30min addition to whirlpool

But why drop the crystal?
I was confuse that the recipe called for 1# crystal & .5# Munich, considering it is an extract recipe.
But it came from a reputable publication so I figured they knew what they had in mind.

Im in the zer0 crystal camp for my IPAs, but for any extract based IPA, I would definitely eliminate it. The malt extracts are composed of a variety of malts. Even the lightest ones you can by have a bit of crystal and dextrine malt if I remember correctly. So youve likely already got some in there.

I see a lot fo people wanting crystal in their IPAs to add "complexity." You dont need specialty malts for complexity in an IPA, it should come from the hops. Much like with farmhouse ales (another style which benefits from a very bare bones grain bill), the complexity is all from the yeast.

Im in the zer0 crystal camp for my IPAs, but for any extract based IPA, I would definitely eliminate it. The malt extracts are composed of a variety of malts. Even the lightest ones you can by have a bit of crystal and dextrine malt if I remember correctly. So youve likely already got some in there.

I see a lot fo people wanting crystal in their IPAs to add "complexity." You dont need specialty malts for complexity in an IPA, it should come from the hops. Much like with farmhouse ales (another style which benefits from a very bare bones grain bill), the complexity is all from the yeast.

Ok I will bitter with Warrior or Magnum @60
Drop 1# crystal 10
But keep Munich malt?
Or should I dump Munich for another specialty like carpils/dextrine???

Carapils may be a good idea if you usually have issues with head retention. A different idea, I'm a fan of using 2-4lbs of wheat in my ipas for a number of reasons.
- it provides some body
- helps with head retention
- the bit of "wheaty" flavor works great with hops like citra to bring out their juicy fruity side instead of herbal resinous

Carapils may be a good idea if you usually have issues with head retention. A different idea, I'm a fan of using 2-4lbs of wheat in my ipas for a number of reasons.
- it provides some body
- the bit of "wheaty" flavor works great with hops like citra to bring out their juicy fruity side instead of herbal resinous

Never been a big wheat beer fan.
Looking through my brewing notes I came across a west coast IPA kit, which had me bitter with Columbus followed by citra & cascade dry hop.
Long story short ( too late ), I will use warrior for bittering.
However the speciality grains were :
8 oz Carmel 80L
8 oz victory
4 oz carpils

I ended up with great head retention.
So why not follow these grains?
Or am I completely over thinking this?

I would increase hops at 15 to 0 and keep the dry hop as is. I also would use a neutralish bittering hop and save the citra for later in the flavoring. Sounds like a good brew.

- it provides some body

What is 2-4lbs in % please

Wow that seems a lot, I would love to taste one of your IPAs before doing this myself ;) I've been using 5 to 8% recently

With 20% that can almost be considered a White IPA without the spices :mug:

Wow that seems a lot, I would love to taste one of your IPAs before doing this myself ;) I've been using 5 to 8% recently

With 20% that can almost be considered a White IPA without the spices :mug:

I usually use flaked wheat in my White IPAs too, They are a hard style to nail IME. Even commercial examples are lackluster. Hard to find a balance. Do I use a wit yeast or not? Do I cut back the hops to let the spices and wit easters be more pronounced?

I actually have one that I just kegged up yesterday. Ended up using a wit yeast and a bit of WY3711 to get it as dry as I like mine.

PM me if you want to swap sometime. I do take payment in NY beers I cant find round these parts

Ok here is the recipe so far:
5 gallon batch

IBUs: ?

0.5 lb carapils

0.5 lb Munich malt

HOPS SCHEDULE

1 oz (28 g) warrior at 60 minutes

1 oz (28 g) Citra at 10minutes

1 oz citra at 5 min

YEAST

1 packet Safale S-05

Do I really need both carapils & Munich?

You don't necessarily need carapils and Munich, but they will add a little complexity and mouthfeel. I would probably drop the carapils and keep and up the Munich. Are you using dark or light Munich?

If you're steeping and not mashing, I believe the Munich malt will add some starch haze. I'd drop it unless I was doing a small mash.

You don't necessarily need carapils and Munich, but they will add a little complexity and mouthfeel. I would probably drop the carapils and keep and up the Munich. Are you using dark or light Munich?

Light Munich
And I was going to steep the grains as I will get all fermentable from Extract.

You really don't wanna steep Munich. It's a base malt. It needs to be mashed. I know you aren't trying to get fermentables from it, but still.

Yeah I was gonna mention that. I rarely brew someone else's recipe more than once but am definitely giving the 3f one another go! Citra is an amazing hop and I've oddly found that it does well with some of my non hop appreciative lady friends. The three Floyds zombie dust is definitely a hop forward citrus IPA but it certainly is not overly bitter or astringent.

I just added 1# of wheat to an IPA, can't say much about it since I've only sampled when taking OG readings but the wort definitely had a more pleasing mouthfeel to it. I wouldn't call it malty but just a little more full and seemed to deliver the hops a little better. That could all change but this is in a recipe I've brewed several times and like that addition so far.

Several Brewers on here have started adding wheat malt to their IPA's and I can't see how this addition wouldn't go with your "summer" vibe.

Says the guy who hasn't actually finished a beer with it yet

Brewed this yesterday, went with citra hop addition at 15, 10, 5 & flameout
Of course I scorched some of the LME so the wort came out super dark. Either that or I used the wrong Munich .
Hope this does not affect the taste too much

Ended up with an SG of 1.070, which is much higher than the original recipe & brewer friend had of 1.056

Bubbling away.
Smells really, really good through the vodka filled airlock!

I did a SMaSH IPA with 2 row and Citra only and I thought it was awesome. Nothing fancy, but clean and hoppy. Wasn't too sweet or too bready. It had little bread, but definitely tolerable. It was a hit this weekend. All 4 gallons nearly gone after the party. 2 row does nicely with the IPA and citra is wonderful.

I dry hopped it hard and it was worth it. Great hop nose. Next time, I will not boil the citra at 60. I may try a magnum or warrior instead and only add the citra at 15-10-5-0 and DH.

Back