citra hop ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtbrewer403

Reaction score
started this ipa today. the recipie comes from Brooklyn Brew Shops small batches book

1.8 lbs english pale
.4 lbs crystal 20
.2 lbs victory

i had to alter it slightly based on supplies i had

1.8 lbs maris otter
.4 lbs crystal 30
.2 lbs biscuit

the hops are .5 oz citra
.1 oz at 60
.1 oz at 45
.1 oz at 15
.1 oz at 5
.1 oz at 0

i also added one cup mango in with the malts and one cup mango at 45 minutes into the boil with the third hop grouping. i put the mango in because i read citra hops had a mango profile to them

heres my notes transcribed as i went :

started mash at 1321 with an initial temperature of 160 added grains stirred then reheated to 152 degrees let sit for ten minutes then stir and repeat every ten for 60 minutes mash ended 1438. mashed out 170 sparged at 170 sparge began 1443 ended 1515 began heating to boil to at 1515. boil began at 1528 whereupon added .1 oz citra hops 60 .1 oz citra hops at 45, one cup mango at 15 ..1 oz citra hops at 15 .1 oz citra hops at 5 and finaally another .1oz citra hops at 0 for a total of .5 oz. boil ended 1628 cooled to 70 degrees then added to fermentor and pitched yeast. set in dark heated place

i hope this turns out good

What yeast ? The dark heated place sounds like a bad idea. You'll want to keep ferment temp 65-70*F i.e. wlp001 yeast strain..... depends on the yeast. Id assume an ale so watch the temp

What yeast ? The dark heated place sounds like a bad idea. You'll want to keep ferment temp 65-70*F i.e. wlp001 yeast strain..... depends on the yeast. Id assume an ale so watch the temp

He's in Montana and this is the start of winter. He may have to have it in a heated space to keep it from freezing.:rockin:

not quite sure what yeast strain it is. we order alot of pre mixes from brooklyn brew shop and save the yeasts from those so i just threw one of those in because we got alot backed up. though the closest i think it comes to is S-05

and yeah its getting close to winter up here. i got it in a closet with a space heater and its right around 70*F

started this ipa today. the recipie comes from Brooklyn Brew Shops small batches book

1.8 lbs english pale
.4 lbs crystal 20
.2 lbs victory

1.8 lbs maris otter
.4 lbs crystal 30
.2 lbs biscuit

the hops are .5 oz citra
.1 oz at 60
.1 oz at 45
.1 oz at 15
.1 oz at 5
.1 oz at 0

i also added one cup mango in with the malts and one cup mango at 45 minutes into the boil with the third hop grouping. i put the mango in because i read citra hops had a mango profile to them

started mash at 1321 with an initial temperature of 160 added grains stirred then reheated to 152 degrees let sit for ten minutes then stir and repeat every ten for 60 minutes mash ended 1438. mashed out 170 sparged at 170 sparge began 1443 ended 1515 began heating to boil to at 1515. boil began at 1528 whereupon added .1 oz citra hops 60 .1 oz citra hops at 45, one cup mango at 15 ..1 oz citra hops at 15 .1 oz citra hops at 5 and finaally another .1oz citra hops at 0 for a total of .5 oz. boil ended 1628 cooled to 70 degrees then added to fermentor and pitched yeast. set in dark heated place

Is this a 1g batch? 16.7% crystal malt is a grotesque amount of crystal malts in any beer let alone an IPA

not quite sure what yeast strain it is. we order alot of pre mixes from brooklyn brew shop and save the yeasts from those so i just threw one of those in because we got alot backed up. though the closest i think it comes to is S-05

and yeah its getting close to winter up here. i got it in a closet with a space heater and its right around 70*F

70 is a little warm for most ale yeasts. I prefer to keep my fermenting beers closer to 60. Since fermentation creates heat and the higher the temp the faster the heat is produced, your beer could be fermenting up to 75 which is too high for good beer flavor. When I start mine at 62 degrees ambient, the fermenter will only get up to 64 and I get a clean flavor from that.:mug:

Is this a 1g batch? 16.7% crystal malt is a grotesque amount of crystal malts in any beer let alone an IPA

yes it is a one gallon batch. i was just following the recipie in the book but i see what you mean about it being too much. it turned out kind of copper colored almost amber. what would you recommend if i did another IPA?

70 is a little warm for most ale yeasts. I prefer to keep my fermenting beers closer to 60. Since fermentation creates heat and the higher the temp the faster the heat is produced, your beer could be fermenting up to 75 which is too high for good beer flavor. When I start mine at 62 degrees ambient, the fermenter will only get up to 64 and I get a clean flavor from that.:mug:
ok ill let it cool down a little. i always just heard 70 but if 60-65 is better i'll try it

yes it is a one gallon batch. i was just following the recipie in the book but i see what you mean about it being too much. it turned out kind of copper colored almost amber. what would you recommend if i did another IPA?

Well everyone has different tastes so ymmv. I brewed an IIPA this morning with no crystal malts at all but I'd say limit it 5% on your next batch. After a few batches you'll start to learn what you prefer and won't need recipes anymore. Personally I think 3% crystal is a nice sweet spot for not too much but enough to shape the beer

ok ill let it cool down a little. i always just heard 70 but if 60-65 is better i'll try it

This is the temp of the beer as measured with a probe during fermentation ideally submerged in the actively fermenting beer. (i.e. Not ambient temperature) If your fermenting with no temperature control (fermentation fridge with a temp controller) than you will most likely spike outside of the recommended fermentation temperature range of the yeast leading to some off flavors some will detect.. like more esters in the finished product.

i think i mightve created a new style of beer here: amber ipa.

nevermind i guess my photo didnt go on

17% doesn't need to be a grotesque amount of crystals. But are those numbers EBC or lovibond? From the color of the beer I guess they are EBC. Anyhow. I've made session IPA's with up to 40% carapils. No hassle. A buddy of mine makes a lager (and sells it) with close to 100% crystal malts, the base is cara clair, which is an 8 EBC if I remember correctly.

there it is in the bottle. the color cleared out while it was fermenting, so now it looks more like what you expect from an ipa.

got to try a small sample the hops were definently the predominant flavor which was what i was trying to do, with the malts and mango being an after taste and of course the awesome bitterness only an ipa can give.

i know youre not supposed to use clear bottles its just one the rest are in brown. but the clear one will be the first one i have. i just wanted everyone to see what it looked like with the label

TasunKawitko came up with the name while he was printing the label for me

15219416_1472065672822005_180632560786672562_n.jpg

15219439_1472234282805144_3921604071624898986_n.jpg

Using clear bottles is just fine but keep them out of strong UV light like sunlight as the UV causes skunking. Same goes for taking your glass of beer outside in bright sunlight.

1.8 lbs english pale
.4 lbs crystal 20
.2 lbs victory

1.8 lbs maris otter
.4 lbs crystal 30
.2 lbs biscuit

the hops are .5 oz citra
.1 oz at 60
.1 oz at 45
.1 oz at 15
.1 oz at 5
.1 oz at 0

I just finished bottling a 5 G batch of a citra IPA about 30 minutes ago... Although I'm sure your beer will be great, mango isn't the first fruit i think of when i think of citra ...its probably the furthest from the actual profile....it has more of a stronger grapefruit, deep lime, citrus-melon profile...I added about 4oz of grapefruit zest at flameout, and the aroma/taste at bottling was just absolutely stellar...they really complement each other....i'd be curious how the mango turns out...

MtBrewer shared a "bottling sample" with me that was left over, and the flavour was pretty darn good. I think the malts and the hops had good compliments AND contrasts, and the mango did come though nicely with the finish.

I am not a fan of the bitterness, which I can only describe as "resiny" - but that is no different than a lot of IPAs I have tried. Bitterness aside, I liked it and am looking forward to seeing how it is after some time in the bottle. :mug:

I just finished bottling a 5 G batch of a citra IPA about 30 minutes ago... Although I'm sure your beer will be great, mango isn't the first fruit i think of when i think of citra ...its probably the furthest from the actual profile....it has more of a stronger grapefruit, deep lime, citrus-melon profile...I added about 4oz of grapefruit zest at flameout, and the aroma/taste at bottling was just absolutely stellar...they really complement each other....i'd be curious how the mango turns out...

It may depend on your source of citra. The only time I've brewed with citra hops, I got a very dominant mango/pineapple aroma and flavor with very little grapefruit/citrus.

I think it looks good so far, but I would be cautious about even getting those bottles in the electric light. I agree that citra and mango aromas have not been my experience. However I don't think a mango beer with citra hops as a counterpoint to the fruit is bad either. What did the OG end up at? I would assume closer to the IIPA.

i know most hops have that citrus note to them when put together in large quantities i just wanted to try something different based on information i had at the time.

i have one of brooklyn brew shops galaxy hop ipa mixes their desicription of those is peach/passion fruit/tropical. does anyone have any experience with those and can offer additional descriptive information on those, because i wouldnt want to get it wrong again

I just finished brewing a Citra IPA. Funny thing is there isn't any Citra in it yet. I plan to dry hop it with Citra. My bittering and late addition hop is Mosaic which I have heard described as having a mango flavor. I also pounded the whirlpool with Simcoe. My brewing partner pictured here approved.

image.jpg

i think thatll turn out good. theres this brewery in oregon they got this ipa called fresh squeezed ipa and they blend citra and mosaic hops and thats about the best beer ive had other than guiness. i actually want to try that myself sometime i just did this one first to get an idea of what citra is like by itself and the first impression i get is mango followed by the citrus followed by the bitterness

i got a book with a list of hops and they give a description fir each hop and their description of citra is passion fruit/lime/mango

i'll see if i can get a good picture of that list sometime and put it on

Back