Cinnamon in Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ere109

Reaction score
I just added a stick of cinnamon to the secondary on a wheat I'm doing for Christmas. I did a search and couldn't find info on length of time that people normally leave cinnamon in.
People who have used cinnamon in the fermentation stage, how much did you use, and how long did you let it sit for?

I usually go for the crushed cinnamon, but I use a 1-1/2 tablespoons with with each addition. That's in my pumpkin spice ale though. You probably don't need as much in a wheat. I usually leave it in secondary for 2 weeks.

Sounds good. I was thinking it would be good to check it after about two weeks.

One thing to keep in mind with cinnamon is...at least in my experience... it fades fairly quickly. Even if it seems overpowering at first, within a few weeks it will be much more mellow. When I do my pumpkin spice, I add cinnamon to the boil, secondary, and bottling bucket. Each time, I add 1.5 tablespoons. It seems like a lot, but if you're looking for a very noticeable cinnamon flavor, it's a good amount. It also depends on what (if any) other spices you'll be using. If it's just cinnamon on it's own, you can probably get by with much less.

Back