Cinnamon in a 20.5% RIS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twitchster

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just wondering if I really need to soak the cinnamon sticks in alcohol before throwing it into secondary since the ABV is so high as it is. I don't really think I do but wanted to get on here and ask just to make sure. Also, from what I've read, I should let them sit in secondary for about two weeks. I'm also going to add cacao nibs. Should I add the nibs a week after the cinnamon? This is only my second time using the cacao nibs and first time with cinnamon. Any input would be much appreciated!

in a RIS, my guess is a LOT of cacao would be needed to even get noticed - especially at that ABV.

in a RIS, my guess is a LOT of cacao would be needed to even get noticed - especially at that ABV.

Ok, cool. What about the cinnamon though? Should I soak that in alcohol or just toss it as is? And when you say a lot of cacao would be needed, do you just mean let it sit longer than a week or add a larger amount?

soaking in alcohol seems redundant when the brew itself is 20%. :) I would guess a week in secondary with good, fresh cinnamon sticks would do the trick.

For cacoa nibs, probably 12 oz or so seems right - but there are a lot of folks out there with much greater experience balancing adjuncts with brew styles than me.

soaking in alcohol seems redundant when the brew itself is 20%. :) I would guess a week in secondary with good, fresh cinnamon sticks would do the trick.

For cacoa nibs, probably 12 oz or so seems right - but there are a lot of folks out there with much greater experience balancing adjuncts with brew styles than me.

Alright, thanks. So I'll up the amount of cacao nibs I add and add both that and the cinnamon for a week. This beast has been aging since December and is STUPID smooth. It's dangerous.

Back