Cider results? What will I get?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tkeonce

Reaction score
Started a 2 gallon batch of cider from regular store brand apple juice 6 weeks ago. The yeast was cider house select. I did add quite a bit of sugar and the starting og was 1.085. I racked to bottling bucket yesterday with 1 can of AJ concentrate and a couple tablespoons of honey. The FG was 0.990 before adding the concentrate and honey. I sipped a bit before bottling and it was pretty much rocket fuel although I did still get some apple notes. My plan is to check a bottle in a few days and then stovetop pasteurize. Am I going to get anything worth drinking?

Wow. That's a surprise. I'm on my 6th batch this year using that yeast. None have finished below 1.000. My first two I added sugar to get a S.G. of 1.070. The rest I did not and had S.G. of 1.050-1.055. I love that yeast!

Just let it age it will be fine to drink.

Once the heat calms down I think you'll find that yeast left good apple flavor. I agree with Mark its a great yeast.

For you apfelwine afficianados out there - how long does this need to age in the bottle before developing good character? I made one recently that I tested out soon after bottling and was fairly unimpressed with the depth of flavor.

Drunk. You will get drunk. :D

Edwort's Apfelwein takes 6 weeks before bottling. I will bottle mine soon, but have heard it can really hit its stride at 6 months in. I'm not sure how much differently the cider yeast from a time perspective, but I would assume something in the same vein.

5 days since bottling and I'm disappointed with my carbing results. Maybe not enough sugar added?

5 days since bottling and I'm disappointed with my carbing results. Maybe not enough sugar added?

More likely that it's over that yeast strains ABV tolerance. All yeast strains have a different alcohol tolerance levels, and I'm not sure of that one, but with a wine at 12.5%, you may be very close to the alcohol limit of that yeast strain. It might carb up some more, with a bit of time.

i make a similar hard apple mess you up! if you keep the FG just above 1.000 it taste miles better then if you dry it out. but since you're back sweetening you will probly be good.
if its too rocket fuelly i just add some juice to it when i drink.
this stuff messes you up quik so be careful with it.

Started a 2 gallon batch of cider from regular store brand apple juice 6 weeks ago. The yeast was cider house select. I did add quite a bit of sugar and the starting og was 1.085. I racked to bottling bucket yesterday with 1 can of AJ concentrate and a couple tablespoons of honey. The FG was 0.990 before adding the concentrate and honey. I sipped a bit before bottling and it was pretty much rocket fuel although I did still get some apple notes. My plan is to check a bottle in a few days and then stovetop pasteurize. Am I going to get anything worth drinking?

For future info, use a PET bottle for the sample bottle. You can tell by feel of the bottle if it is ready. Squeeze the bottle and it will get quite hard when the carbonation level is reached. That way you don't have to try multiple bottles to determine when to pasteurize.

Back