Cider not Clearing up.... thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silver_2000_tj

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I’ have been following the great information on the website and it inspired me to take an attempt at making my own side. The first and second batches were great and I was happy with the results. Now i’m looking to solicit some feedback from the immense knowledge and expertise within the group.

I started with 3 gallons of Tree Top Honeycrisp apple juice. I added half a container of frozen apple juice to the mix and along with one package of Nottingham Yeast.

I proceeded to Let is sit for a little over 30 days and was surprised to see how cloudy it was when I opened the bucket. I racked off 2 gallons and placed it in the garage fridge to cold crash it in hopes it would clear. Well that approach is not working as there is not change after sitting in the fridge for over a week and as you can see it’s still very cloudy.

Any thoughts and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Try clearing it with gelatine, thats what the apple juice producers do.

There was a good post on brulosophy a few years ago.

it could be pectic haze, try some pectolase and some bentonite - it should clear.

Hi silver 2000 tj - and welcome.
CO2 dissolved in the cider will help keep all the fruit particulates suspended so unless you are degassing this may take a while to clear.

I've made cider that clears within a week and cider that won't clear after 3months until I keg and chill for a while. In my experience the yeast seems to be the largest factor in clearing and I haven't used notty in a cider... Yet.
Also, I don't recommend using the 3 piece airlocks for a cold crash, they can siphon the star San or alcohol into the carboy as it chills.
Either use an S lock or just spray some tin foil with star San and cover the top.

Back