Cider Natural Fermentation Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Choch

Reaction score
Ok so i'm about to get two apple trees specifically for homemade cider brewing. I know to clean your materials well, but is there any kind of natural yeasts that can grow to make you sick? Also should I pastuerize the pressed apples before beginning fermentation. Should I add sugar? I want to just use the natural yeasts inside of it to see what a wild grown cider is like. Also how could I get a decent gravity in this. Sorry about all the questions but i'm extremely new! :confused:

What kind of apple trees are you getting? You probably have at least 3 years before you get enough apples to worry about all these questions, a long torturous wait :) What makes some people sick is E.Coli and other bacteria and parasites that get picked up off of the ground when people use dropped apples. Have you ever heard of anyone getting a yeast infection from eating a raw apple? I would like to suggest you first make a cider using winemaking yeast, its a much better chance of you getting off to a good start. You can easily add potasium metabisulfite to your juice to knock back the spoilage bugs. Also consider that your trees are going to be young and just starting to produce, where are they going to get all those yeasts you need for a natural ferment, I think it takes a little time for your orchard to develop a true yeast population. YOu also have time to get a few good books on cidermaking. WVMJ

What kind of apple trees are you getting? You probably have at least 3 years before you get enough apples to worry about all these questions, a long torturous wait :) What makes some people sick is E.Coli and other bacteria and parasites that get picked up off of the ground when people use dropped apples. Have you ever heard of anyone getting a yeast infection from eating a raw apple? I would like to suggest you first make a cider using winemaking yeast, its a much better chance of you getting off to a good start. You can easily add potasium metabisulfite to your juice to knock back the spoilage bugs. Also consider that your trees are going to be young and just starting to produce, where are they going to get all those yeasts you need for a natural ferment, I think it takes a little time for your orchard to develop a true yeast population. YOu also have time to get a few good books on cidermaking. WVMJ

Well right now I am just buying some fresh apples for cider making (which costs a ton). So thats why I was curious as to what to be worried about. I was never a person who liked to take it slow lol.;)

Back