Cider making advice for beginner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCBDET

Reaction score
Hi all
Newbie here. Tried making Cider for the first time yesterday. Here is what i did. Used a large casserole pan and filled it with chopped apples (from parents apple tree..not cooking apples), an orange and some pears. Boiled then bought to simmer for 2 hours. Crushed as much as possible in pan then simmered again for 30 mins. Started the process of extracting the juice through a sieve and added a couple of teaspoons of moscavado sugar, stirred and bottled it in flip top style Kilner bottle. Attached photo. How long do i wait for fermentation to take place? Natural fermentation in other words no packet yeast was added. Do i shake it up as there's a lot of stuff at the bottom?
Sorry but complete novice here.
Thanks in advance
Nick

Attachments

• Cider.jpg
    Cider.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 13
Unless you had some wild yeast hanging out in those bottles you won’t be seeing a fermentation. Boiling your fruit for 2 hours would eliminate any naturally occurring organisms. Also fermenting in a closed vessel, like a swing top is not a recommended practice.

Welcome to the forum, have a look around and read up on the cider making process. You can probadly “fix” this if you just done this.
suggested reading: Cider for Beginners

Unless you had some wild yeast hanging out in those bottles you won’t be seeing a fermentation. Boiling your fruit for 2 hours would eliminate any naturally occurring organisms. Also fermenting in a closed vessel, like a swing top is not a recommended practice.

Welcome to the forum, have a look around and read up on the cider making process. You can probadly “fix” this if you just done this.
suggested reading: Cider for Beginners
Thanks for the advice. Looks like I've failed here! I did this yesterday afternoon. Can i rectify this by adding some packet yeast?

Thanks for the advice. Looks like I've failed here! I did this yesterday afternoon. Can i rectify this by adding some packet yeast?
Do you have a jug with a screw top lid? If so, sanitize it then pour your must leaving the sludge behind (anything that touches the must/juice at this point needs to be sanitized) add yeast then some cheese cloth under the cap loosely to let gas escape and keep unwanted insects and such out. This would not be ”best practice“ but is a step above making hooch. ;)
let it be for a week or two, during that time read up on bottling. Good luck.

Great thankyou!
Just ordered a couple of demijohns with bungs and airlocks, campden tablets, champagne cider yeast and cheesecloth! Want to do this thing properly, again, thanks for all your advice :)

Latest posts

Back