Cider has no flavor???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OopsMD

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has come across this problem as well. I made a 5 gal batch of hard cider with some local cider. Fast forward a few months, and the cider is a pale yellow with almost no flavor. The apple flavor is so faint, its almost just like flat apple seltzer water. Anyone know what this could be from?

I used a cider yeast (I cant remember the name), as I figured it would create a better cider than ive made before using ec1118. The ec1118 is by far better than this.

No sugar added, OG in the 1.050 range.

Try adding some powdered tannins to a sample glass. If you have an acid titration kit you can adjust acidity as well

I have had it happen before, What’s your FG? Is it super dry? That’s what I have found to cause little apple taste, having it ferment super dry. The last couple of ciders I’ve made I used S05 and backsweetened, really enjoyed the results.

I have had it happen before, What’s your FG? Is it super dry? That’s what I have found to cause little apple taste, having it ferment super dry. The last couple of ciders I’ve made I used S05 and backsweetened, really enjoyed the results.
Thanks for the idea- I was going to just keep it dry. When I backsweetened it was so much better.

All of the above. If the original juice was somewhat sweet the chances are that it has a high proportion of eating apples and once the sugar is all gone (converted to CO2 and alcohol) here isn't much flavour left. In my small orchard I have a couple of Red Delicious trees and when I started I used the apples which are great to eat but the cider was horrible (I used EC1118 then, and now only use the Red Delicious for eating). My go-to now is SO4 which can often stop around 1.003 or 1.004 (i.e. above dry) and so leave a bit of flavour and sweetness

I have found that if the cider needs "something" then dry hopping helps. about 3g per litre of Cascade or Citra (around 0.25oz per gallon) in something like a large tea bag (so you don't end up with lots of "floaters" in your cider, and also add some marbles to make it sink). Steeping for several days does wonders, but, taste, taste, taste, as the hop flavour is taken up quite quickly.

Just popped the first of my 32oz apple cider that was primed last week. It was ok before back sweetened, but a little simple sugar really makes the apple 🍎 flavor jump. Another week and the carbonation should be perfect. Have 40 bottles to enjoy this year.

Back