Cider from fermented apple juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sergiy

Reaction score
Hi, I accidentally bought fermented apple juice instead of apple juice. The seller said fresh apple juice was closed in a barrel and fermented organically. Gravity is still high - 1.055 and I saw ciders in store with fermented apple juice in components.

Can I create cider from it? I tried to pasteurize it and added Kviek, but it didn't work, my guess is that PH (around 3.5) is not suitable for this kind of yeast.

What do you mean by fermented? If it's already 'fermented' it's already cider. I don't think that's what you have since fresh apple juice is ~1.050.

At what temp was the juice when you added the kveik?

As the seller told me - fresh juice was sealed in a barrel and fermented, I assume by wild cultures from apples. I added Kveik at 30C and kept it for a week with temp control + I added yeast nutrients. I compare it to juice - gravity is the same, but 'fermented' juice is much more acidic.

I am guessing what you were sold was apple cider vinegar. Vinegar starts with fermentation then moves to a second aerobic fermentation which turns the alcohol into vinegar. I have accidentally done this when I left a batch go so long the water lock ran dry allowing the fermented cider to be exposed to air. That would explain the acidic flavor and the lack of further fermentation. Just a thought.

Yeah, that sounds like what I have. Can I do something about it? I thought maybe another kind of yeast, сhampagne for e.g.

Yeah, that sounds like what I have. Can I do something about it? I thought maybe another kind of yeast, сhampagne for e.g.
Nothing can be done to turn it into something drinkable. Use it like you would any other kind of vinegar. But once it is vinegar there is no going back.

After last frost, plant cucumbers and dill. Easy to make refrigerator pickles. 6 cups water, 6 cups vinegar, dissolve 2/3 cup kosher or canning salt. Wash and pack the cukes in jars, add a couple cloves of garlic, a dozen peppercorns, and 2 heads of fresh dill. Refrigerate and ready in 2 weeks.

Back