Cider, Cider, Cider, CIDER!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
The wife and I are subscribers to a local produce cooperative (you pay a fee and go to a dropoff point each week and they give you various fruits and vegetables, and you never know what they'll be). I just saw this posted on their blog:

Yes, it’s soon to be that time of year. The time that virtually all sane adults and children look forward to with such uncontainable excitement that fear of spontaneous human combustion is a genuine and legitimate concern. I’m talking about nothing less than APPLE CIDER SEASON. And not just any apple cider, mind you, but only Brett’s famous unsweetened, unfiltered, unpasteurized, unadulterated, only-made-with-tart-apples-so-it-doesn’t-taste-like-that-mass-produced-liquid-cotton-candy-crap-passing-as-apple-cider apple cider.

I've never made hard cider. The closest thing I've done is apfelwein. But this sounds intriguing. I've always wanted to try it. So what's the deal? Do I just pitch some montrachet yeast in there?

Yep just pitch some yeast. I like sweet mead yeast but I've heard good things about montrachet. Maybe add some sugar ( I like corn sugar ) and some yeast nutrient too.

You got it, buddy.
Get yer cider, get your yeast, get your nutrient, mebbe a little sugar and you're good to go.
Have fun!

That is about it! The different yeast will give different taste and flavors and Montrachet is very dry. I personally prefer the Superior Lager yeast in Cider with some brown sugar. It turns out a creamy style and holds the Apple flavor very well. You can look at about 6 weeks for great flavor and real nice clarity. I left it in the carboy for 30 days and racked for aging in bulk. It should be good at Thanksgiving but great by Christmas.

mgayer said:
That is about it! The different yeast will give different taste and flavors and Montrachet is very dry. I personally prefer the Superior Lager yeast in Cider with some brown sugar. It turns out a creamy style and holds the Apple flavor very well. You can look at about 6 weeks for great flavor and real nice clarity. I left it in the carboy for 30 days and racked for aging in bulk. It should be good at Thanksgiving but great by Christmas.

Hmm, I have some lager yeast on hand. Do you ferment it at lager temps?

Evan! said:
Hmm, I have some lager yeast on hand. Do you ferment it at lager temps?

I was maintaining between 72 and 74 degrees. No off flavors and very mellow. Took a taste last night and it has gotten better. I will be serving the Superior batch on Halloween night! With some spice.

A great way to boost the flavor and backsweeten is to add a can of concentrate per gallon after it is stabilized. It gives the Jolly Rancher flavor or brings out the apples.

My wife says the Montrechet yeast Ciders taste more ale like unless I use some splenda in it. She likes the sweeter ciders.

Latest posts

Back