Cider allergy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamesfromdogriver

Paw paw James from dog River
Reaction score
I made my first batch of cider using yeast nutrient I tried some of it last night and I must say it is my best tasting less smelling batch yet! And it does have a kick. But last night my nose got stopped up drinking it. Is it just me or does cider do that? (I gave the cider 3 weeks to get happy before rerack) I let it cool off in the fridge. Thanks for any comments.

Hopefully you are just coming down with a bit of a cold. That would suck to be allergic to cider.
And... just to show you how I love you, I’ll drink a couple of ciders to for you.
Cheers
I hope you get feeling better soon

I doubt many people are allergic to cider itself. However, allergic reactions to sulfites (preservatives) are real. Did you use sulfites or Campden or K-meta, or did the raw juice contain any preservatives? Could be that.

Freeze concentrate it. Search applejack and you should find some info :)
I been freezing it all day and it wont hardly freeze in the big apple juice container but in the water bottle it did freeze up and I drained it already and added the liquid back to it with a little out of the big bottle. This stuff don't act like it wants to freeze much. Must be some good stuff. LOL

Put it in the freezer for 3-4 days. I dial my freezer down to -23C but not every freezer has that option. I make 20% wine and can freeze it easily.

Dechallenge. Stop drinking cider. Do the symptoms go away?

Rechallenge. Drink the cider again. Do the symptoms return?

I don't get why people are so into applejack. Ice cider seems way better.

You only need a freezer, not a temp controlled fermentation chamber.

Proper ice cider should be fermented at a low temp.

Yes but ice cider likes to be in the 50's for temps, low and slow. Regular Cider is good if you can get the low 60's.

I prefer the high alc content of applejack, has some bite, vs the nice sweet flavour of ice cider.

I drink most of my applejack when snowmobiling, anything with lower abv will freeze :)

In the past 2 decades, I have become allergic to raw apples and cherries. However, I can eat the cooked fruit. The cooking denatures the enzymes. I've had no problems with fermented ciders, so I'm assuming that the enzymes that I'm allergic to in the raw fruits are denatured by the fermentation process.

It is possible that you're allergic to cider, but it would be via a different mechanism than my allergy.

Wow, that su
In the past 2 decades, I have become allergic to raw apples and cherries.

Wow that sucks, eating an apple is one of life's simple pleasures.
I'm wondering if its the apple or all the sprays and chemicals they use these days?

Yep, it sucks. There are plenty of times where I want to take a bite of an apple that my wife or kids are enjoying.

I doubt that its the chemicals, but I haven't visited an unsprayed tree to try that hypothesis.

But last night my nose got stopped up drinking it.

Are you using a lot of Campden tablets, or other sulfite additions? What is your beverage of choice other than cider? Beer, wine, or liquor? Whenever I hear someone complaining of a stuffy nose from drinking hooch I immediately think about sulfite sensitivity.

Back