Chugger Pumps New Model

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xtrmnt

Reaction score
I emailed Chugger Pumps about issues with my HERMS recirculation flow rate being too slow with my Chugger Center Inlet pump. This is the response I got back from them.

"The chugger pump you have is designed for transferring wort from one vessel to another. It is not designed to recirculate through a coil. You’re having friction loss in the coil which is slowing the velocity of your wort.

We are working on a more affordable larger stainless steel pump designed for recirculation. We have the prototype and should be bringing that pump to market in 6+ months.

Danny Suozzo
Tri-State Pump Inc
5044 Industrial Road, Suite C
Farmingdale, NJ 07727
Ph (732) 223-3222
Fax (732) 223-2587
[email protected]"

I am bummed that the Chugger Center Inlet pump is not adequate. I have a 20 gallon system. Maybe I should look at the March Nano Pump. Though, this may be overkill. Don't know if I can wait for the new Chugger model. Any feedback is appreciated. Pic of my system below:

currentconfiguration_zps5ea8c390.jpg

I recirc with my chuggers through the coil but I was cheap and only bought a 25' coil instead of the recommended 50.

Edit: correction, I have march not chuggers. Sorry

I've wondered that myself but I think the downstream pump might have priming issues...hmm or it might be 'force-primed'. ...interesting. how about one at each end of the coil, on opposite sides of the process:

Mash --> pump --> coil --> pump --> Mash

The pump after the coil would help it draw once it was sufficiently primed.

I'm sure they are looking at other pumps to rip off and reverse engineer and will have something similar to the March nano at some point, but why not just get a larger Little Giant or March series pump rather than the 809/815 knockoff. And their answer is bs and just shows that they know nothing about pump design other than how to copy. Pumps are designed to make pressure and create flow. If properly applied if doesn't make a difference if they are flowing between vessels or through a coil, it is just based on the required flow rate and the restrictions imposed by gravity and piping losses.

What kind of flow rate are you looking to get? What size tubing is the herms coil? you should be able to get 1gpm unless you have a ton of restriction in the coil and piping leading to it.

www.marchpump.com/storage/966/files/0750-0976-1000.pdf

@WPStrassburg The size tubing of the HERMS coil is 8mm ID. I don't have much restriction at all, but definitely am not getting 1gpm. I have tested the coil with my sink faucet connected to the coil and the flow rate is significantly better than the trickle I get with the Chugger pump. Don't get me wrong, the Chugger can really put out a flow and have no other issues in my system with them (even transferring 13 gallons of wort to my conicals).

I am bummed that the Chugger Center Inlet pump is not adequate. I have a 20 gallon system. Maybe I should look at the March Nano Pump. Though, this may be overkill. Don't know if I can wait for the new Chugger model. Any feedback is appreciated. Pic of my system below:

currentconfiguration_zps5ea8c390.jpg

These small pumps only produces 6-8 psi at 0 flow.
Your set-up may not permit a flow you like to see.ł
Install a pressure gauge at the output and monitor the pressure than look at the pump curve and you should be able to get a good idea what flow you will get.
The closer you get to the pumps max pressure the less flow you get.
This gives you a chance to re-evaluate your plumbing design.
I always install a gauge at my system to avoid those problems.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

@WPStrassburg The size tubing of the HERMS coil is 8mm ID. I don't have much restriction at all, but definitely am not getting 1gpm. I have tested the coil with my sink faucet connected to the coil and the flow rate is significantly better than the trickle I get with the Chugger pump. Don't get me wrong, the Chugger can really put out a flow and have no other issues in my system with them (even transferring 13 gallons of wort to my conicals).

8mm ID means 0.32 inches, which means you're probably using 3/8" OD tubing for your HEX. Which is likely your problem, the ID is simply too small. The smaller the ID, the more back pressure you'll have, and the slower the flow will go for a given pump.

I've got 50ft of 1/2" OD tubing with 0.035" wall size, for an ID of 0.43", which gives me plenty of flow with my center inlet Chugger. I'd suggest stepping up to larger HEX tubing, something like the following in 1/2" OD:

http://www.stainlessbrewing.com/Coiled-to-customers-request-035-304304L-Coiled-Tubing_p_30.html

Great points everyone. I will definitely check into getting a new coil with a larger ID.

1 gpm is through just the coil is 7-8 psi (16-18ft) of pressure drop and 0.5 gpm is about 2 psi (4.5ft), so 1 gpm should be doable with the March 815 if that is what the chugger is supposed to be.

Are you pumping hot water or wort? I'm not up to date on these systems. But I know circulator pumps. Bell and Gossett have potable water pumps with brass heads and cheaper pumps for boilers that will circulate anything you want.

I run a chugger center inlet pump to recirc through a 50 ft. 1/2" stainless coil and it works ok. The March 815's I had on my last setup where more powerful and I miss them.

Back