Chronical Fermenter by SS Brewing Technologies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got this I regards to my Brewbuckets but also have a Chronical. SS Brewtech has new cleaning insstructions

Brew Bucket Cleaning and Preparation Recommendations

Your brew bucket is been prepared with a highly polish finish. While this is the best for maintaining a sanitary surface, the finish can be damaged or dulled by aggressive chemical or abrasive cleaners. The following recommendations will ensure your bucket maintains optimum performance.

First time use -

Cleaning

Prior to your first time use, you should wash the brew bucket with warm soapy water and a soft cloth to remove any oil residue from the manufacturing process followed by a fresh water rinse.

Passivation

It’s a good idea to passivate your bucket with an acid based solution. Filling the bucket with StarSan or other acid sanitizing solution at the recommended strength and at a temperature of 70-80F for 20 minutes, followed by an air dry is all that is needed.

Sanitizing

We recommend you sanitize your bucket with StarSan or other acid based sanitizer per the recommended directions prior to use.

Cleaning after use –

Use a standard brewery caustic or PBW to remove the protein buildup from the inside of the bucket. Follow the directions for strength and temperature and let the cleaner do the work. If needed, a soft nylon brush can be used to remove heavy deposits. The Ball Valve and Lid Gasket should also be removed, disassembled and cleaned as well.

Never use -

Stainless Steel Scrubbing Pads, Scotch Bright pads - These will remove the protective oxide layer on the stainless and cause discoloring, and in some cases surface rust can form.

Chorine bleach, or Chorine based products - These will cause pitting of the stainless steel, which can not be repaired.

Passivate periodically -

To ensure the longest life for you stainless steel bucket, you should passivate it at least once a year or immediately after you may have done anything to scratch the surface

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I'm about 85% done completing my fermentation chamber for my 7 gal SS chronical that ships this coming Monday..getting so stoked, must brew in 2 Saturdays or bust. I got the Digital temp gauge as well, so hoping everything ships good and quick!

SS Brewing had a pre-sale for a shipment of half-barrel conicals this morning at 9:00 AM PDT. I got the email about the pre-sale last week. I went to their site just before 9:00 and the sold-out tag was still on. At 9:01, I was able to add the item to the cart, but when I went to check out, it said inventory was not available and their site removed the conical from my cart. I did this about 30 times over the next 20 minutes until I got an Email from them saying they had sold out!

They need to improve their website to reserve the item in inventory when you add it to your cart. If they are concerned about people adding items and not checking out, they can put a timer on the cart for that item. Pretty ridiculous to not be able to go through a normal purchase when you add something to your cart and try to pay immediately.

SS Brewing had a pre-sale for a shipment of half-barrel conicals this morning at 9:00 AM PDT. I got the email about the pre-sale last week. I went to their site just before 9:00 and the sold-out tag was still on. At 9:01, I was able to add the item to the cart, but when I went to check out, it said inventory was not available and their site removed the conical from my cart. I did this about 30 times over the next 20 minutes until I got an Email from them saying they had sold out!

They need to improve their website to reserve the item in inventory when you add it to your cart. If they are concerned about people adding items and not checking out, they can put a timer on the cart for that item. Pretty ridiculous to not be able to go through a normal purchase when you add something to your cart and try to pay immediately.

I had the same exact issue. Took the morning off work for the presale, was on the site 30 mins before the presale. Wouldn't let me check out, tried about 30 times. Ridiculous.

Wow. Guess I was just lucky. Was on the site a few minutes early and just kept hitting refresh until I was allowed to put it in my cart. Then just checked out as normal. My order was timestamped 9:02PT so I guess I was right in there at the start.

Agree the process is a little bizarre. Demand must be pretty insane for these things in order to be able to run a "pre-sale" like this.

My guess is that they ran a bunch of these at the manufacturer in China, had them bulk shipped over here, and they just sell from inventory. Gotta be a better way, you'd think, but maybe they're just not very good at estimating demand, or maybe they just don't have that much cash to build a sufficient inventory.

I had to try probably 15 or 20 times this morning before I was able to complete checkout. It was kind of strange...I guess I was one of the lucky ones. I'll post some pictures and a review once I receive the Chronical in late May.

Yea That is ridiculous. Had in cart @9 went to checkout and site reported no inventory remove from cart. @9:01 sold out?

I talked to the owners of SSBrewtech and they know about the problems with their site. This pre-sale was something like 800 units and many people were ordering more than one. The demand and multiple orders crashed the servers and cause problems.

They will be releasing more for sale soon. They have a full container on the way. I'm personally going to wait since I am hoping to move this year, so that'll be at least one less person ordering.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Just remember: Supply and Demand. It's a killer price and it took me 2 pre-sales before I got one. The first time they had over 1,000 people trying to buy the limited 150-200 units they had available. This last time, I had the page up and kept hitting refresh every minute once I got into the +/- 3 min mark. I made sure my Pay Pal and username was all registered beforehand. I should be receiving mine sometime this week, the wait is killing me as I've been putting off my brewing so that I can brew within 24 hrs of receiving mine. Hoping it's worth the wait. Once they catch up with demand, the supply should be as easy as buying the brew bucket, so hopefully by mid summer cause eventually I want to upgrade to the 14 gallon.

The crazy demand for these things is surprising to me. Sure, these conicals are sweet, but are they that different from the Stout conicals that are (also) made in China and are (also) competitively priced? The Stout conical is cheaper and is available, but everyone would rather wait in line for one from SS. What am I missing here? (I don't work for Stout :), just curious)

Little updated ...my conical currently has 6.5 gallons of IPA fermenting with Vermont ale yeast ...well accidentally got knocked over from some home improvement ...have to say lid held on like a champ...only thing came off was the bung from the airlock ...lost about a gallon but thanks to the lid will still have some IPA ...thanks Ss :)

I was on my phone Saturday for the pre-order and just kept refreshing. It appeared and I placed in my cart. No issues whatsoever. I think it was just luck of the draw that day. This sort of thing happens on every site that has a large amount of people trying to purchase something at the same time. I wouldn't go and blame Ss for the issues. But I can understand your frustration.

, but are they that different from the Stout conicals that are (also) made in China and are (also) competitively priced? QUOTE]

Well these aren't made in China, they're made in the USA and welded by Americans, I'd rather have anything manufactured in the USA over China. I feel like I'm supporting American manufacturing jobs and these things are Sweet. Just checked my Tracking, my Chronical 7 gallon arrives TODAY!:rockin:

Now for the cleaning, fill with water, and do a full 24 hr test on my new Fermentation Chamber, hell I might have to brew Friday night instead of waiting til Sat Early morning.:mug:

Well these aren't made in China, they're made in the USA and welded by Americans, I'd rather have anything manufactured in the USA over China. I feel like I'm supporting American manufacturing jobs and these things are Sweet. Just checked my Tracking, my Chronical 7 gallon arrives TODAY!:rockin:

Man I hate to rain on your parade here but if these things were built in the US they'd have that plastered all over their website. I'm not saying all products from China are bad, but these are not "welded by Americans". The leadtimes involved here are also a clue; when they suddenly have a few hundred units to ship, that means the slow boat just arrived with another container load. If they had a shop in the US welding these things, they'd be shipping them as they were built.

Further evidence, here's a pic from the SS Brewtech website. That language on the wall ain't 'merican. (see red arrow)

Picture1.jpg

all 304 stainless comes from China...even blichmann...they might put together in the US but the stainless all comes from China...deal with it

Right...so I'm still curious...why are people falling all over themselves to get these things when Stout has a very similar product for less, in stock?

Right...so I'm still curious...why are people falling all over themselves to get these things when Stout has a very similar product for less, in stock?

It's not really for less when you look at the capacities..

Stout 7.3gal: $329 + ~$30 shipping
Chronical 7 gal: $395

Yeah for the ridiculous looking screw down clamp monstrosity they sell. Their nicer units that would be more comparable to the SS are $100 more.

Stout makes good stuff, not saying ones better than the other, but you asked why.

Yeah for the ridiculous looking screw down clamp monstrosity they sell. Their nicer units that would be more comparable to the SS are $100 more.

Stout makes good stuff, not saying ones better than the other, but you asked why.

Haha, ok, fair enough

Further evidence, here's a pic from the SS Brewtech website. That language on the wall ain't 'merican. (see red arrow)

LOL,
seems they removed this pic along with Made in the USA line under each Product. mmmmm, I know they have a whole bunch of Asians in Irvine since my wife's Japanese side is mostly in the Irvine Buena Park area, but...man that's not cool. I knew the materials came from China, but thought from there wording it was at least welded and assembled here in the US..now I'm getting a bit pissed about my order since it was supposedly shipped on Tues and still no conical...I can drive to Irvine in about an hour from where I live, yet FEDEX said est ship from Temecula on 5/6? WTH would you send to Temecula from Irvine then to Vista when that's more shipping and Carlsbad FEDEX is less than 4 miles from my house? aww man, it better arrive soon.

Their shipping warehouse is in Temecula. That I do know. Not sure how Irvine got thrown in there.

LOL,
seems they removed this pic along with Made in the USA line under each Product. mmmmm, I know they have a whole bunch of Asians in Irvine since my wife's Japanese side is mostly in the Irvine Buena Park area, but...man that's not cool. I knew the materials came from China, but thought from there wording it was at least welded and assembled here in the US..now I'm getting a bit pissed about my order since it was supposedly shipped on Tues and still no conical...I can drive to Irvine in about an hour from where I live, yet FEDEX said est ship from Temecula on 5/6? WTH would you send to Temecula from Irvine then to Vista when that's more shipping and Carlsbad FEDEX is less than 4 miles from my house? aww man, it better arrive soon.

I understand the whole buying usa made thing... I practice it as much as possible as well. With that being said I wouldn't stress about the whole shipping thing... it's not their fault sometimes shipping companies do weird **** and from all the posts (there's a lot of them between this thread and others) I'm sure your conical will be fine... and if it's not their customer service so far has been beyond good. Still sucks its not USA made but you live and you learn right :mug:

LOL,

Btw I think iirc correctly the picture you saw said it was ENGINEERED in the USA... and made in china. Seems to be a relatively common sales pitch these days.

Btw I think iirc correctly the picture you saw said it was ENGINEERED in the USA... and made in china. Seems to be a relatively common sales pitch these days.

Unfortunately there are very few companies that actually manufacture SS anything in the states anymore. Those that do, buy their SS raw from China. Some high end aerospace SS is supplied by US companies, but there are very few Homebrewers that could afford that and very few of them would be willing to.

Hopefully that will change in the future, but it's not not realistic to expect your Homebrew equipment to be made in the US.

Unfortunately there are very few companies that actually manufacture SS anything in the states anymore. Those that do, buy their SS raw from China. Some high end aerospace SS is supplied by US companies, but there are very few Homebrewers that could afford that and very few of them would be willing to.

Hopefully that will change in the future, but it's not not realistic to expect your Homebrew equipment to be made in the US.

Www.Brewhemoth.com :D

Their shipping warehouse is in Temecula. That I do know. Not sure how Irvine got thrown in there.

Well their address is Irvine on the website, so I guess that would be the concern...Hell they could've asked, Temecula is only about 35 min away, could've picked the darn thing up and save on waiting for shipping, lol !

Unfortunately there are very few companies that actually manufacture SS anything in the states anymore.

Well it's a bummer, but as we know, most things are made in China, so like you hoping for more things to change to bring back the ole Made in the USA label again.

Got mine today I noticed theirs not silt on the inside that has to wiped down like the Brew Buckets. Look like it should last a very long time..Just need more....more and more of everything!!

Got mine today I noticed theirs not silt on the inside that has to wiped down like the Brew Buckets. Look like it should last a very long time..Just need more....more and more of everything!!
If you don't mind me asking BYOB, when did your's ship? I'm in Nebraska also and my Fedex status has been sitting at "initiated shipment information sent" since Tuesday.

Umpy it shipped out on the 6th. Hmm youd think you would get yours today also since they probably rode in the same truck at some point.

Today, FedEx changed the status on mine to "in possession." Ss hit the date estimated when I placed the order; can't fault them on that.
..I am expecting that I should receive it on Monday.

Back