Chronical Fermenter by SS Brewing Technologies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I received a few emails from them, even though I was ticked about them shipping from Temecula to Bloomington then to San Diego, instead of just straight from Tem to Carlsbad, they made darn sure to follow up and a few other emails to make sure I'm happy, but here's portions of a couple :
"Our stated ship window from the beginning was through Friday the 9th, and that is indeed when we ended up shipping. We got our freight late (due to no fault of our own) and it takes time to process , inspect, kit, and fire out everything …As for the false alarm with Fedex / fulfillment, that was a function of how we process shipping labels and how we close out open labels in Shopify as "fulfilled" … But the unit ships when the unit ships – the labels were run on like Tues"

separate email: "Hope you enjoy the fermenter ... sorry for any disappointment... we are doing best we can as fast as we can... but we don't want to slam things out the door without checking things out properly first...we do that for many good reasons..."

So whatever criticism I gave them, I take back after their follow up. Seems like they really care about their products and customer service.

Skipping out early so I can brew my Honey Nelson Saison this evening, the anxiety is killing me, cause it'll just barely make the mark for the Karl Strauss Brew contest with bottles due by May 31 and judging on the 2nd.

Unfortunately there are very few companies that actually manufacture SS anything in the states anymore. Those that do, buy their SS raw from China. Some high end aerospace SS is supplied by US companies, but there are very few Homebrewers that could afford that and very few of them would be willing to.

Hopefully that will change in the future, but it's not not realistic to expect your Homebrew equipment to be made in the US.

Not to hijack the thread but there are a couple companies out there the make their conicals here in the USA. BrewHemoth is one and same with us. US labor and US stainless steel :rockin:

I received my third 7-gallon conical today. I have been very pleased so far.

Have you or has anyone ever had any problems with the gasket for the cover? I removed mine to clean and sanitize, and the lil mother trucker keeps popping out. It's a hair too big, even starsan didn't help and pretty sure it shouldn't take 2 sets of hands working the gasket back in to only pop back out if it was the right size. I even had my wife who was a chemist and lab sales rep, couldn't get it to resit without popping out. I had it, put it back on the fermentor, but when I removed the cover to pitch my yeast, damn thing just popped out again. So frustrating, I hope I didn't ruin my batch of Honey Nelson Saison since I couldn't get it back on, so just put the gasket on top and clamped down and covered with foil, keeping fingers crossed

20140513_071846_resized.jpg

Have you or has anyone ever had any problems with the gasket for the cover? I removed mine to clean and sanitize, and the lil mother trucker keeps popping out. It's a hair too big, even starsan didn't help and pretty sure it shouldn't take 2 sets of hands working the gasket back in to only pop back out if it was the right size. I even had my wife who was a chemist and lab sales rep, couldn't get it to resit without popping out. I had it, put it back on the fermentor, but when I removed the cover to pitch my yeast, damn thing just popped out again. So frustrating, I hope I didn't ruin my batch of Honey Nelson Saison since I couldn't get it back on, so just put the gasket on top and clamped down and covered with foil, keeping fingers crossed

I have not had that problem yet. I have removed the gaskets on both of the others to clean and once again when I dropped the lid. The gaskets do appear to be too large but fit when seated.

Well, once again they followed up. They even tested 10 lids and gaskets to make sure it just wasn't an isolated incident. Here are 2 links about how to and how not to reinstall the gasket. Even though I had tried both methods, they're still sending me a replacement cover and gasket for good measure.

http://www.ssbrewtech.com/apps/answ...hronical-seems-like-it-is-too-big-for-the-lid

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnabaJiZRds[/ame]

Got my Half Barrel today. Preordered through keg outlet (great company). Big picture, I'm pretty pleased. Only thing is they welded the thermo-well in off-center from the racking port and acid etched SS logo. It shouldn't effect function but it just looks shoddy. Can't decide if I want to exchange it or just suck it up and deal with it.

image.jpg

Got my Half Barrel today. Preordered through keg outlet (great company). Big picture, I'm pretty pleased. Only thing is they welded the thermo-well in off-center from the racking port and acid etched SS logo. It shouldn't effect function but it just looks shoddy. Can't decide if I want to exchange it or just suck it up and deal with it.

Do you think you could ferment a 5.5 gallon batch in these without too much loss to get 5 gallons into a keg?

Do you think you could ferment a 5.5 gallon batch in these without too much loss to get 5 gallons into a keg?

1/2 a gallon isn't very much overhead. Most 5 gallon batches I brew I lose at least that in the trub/yeast cake. But it could be done. You hurt need to figure out your process using the equipment you have. Nothing is impossible.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I would be more worried about having that much head space and oxidation, that being said I don't know the exact amount of dead space it has but looking at the pictures and knowing that it's a 60 degree cone (pretty sure at least) I think you would be fine. And if you find out .5 gallon isn't enough you can always account for that and just brew a little more... or start brewing double batches.

Welp, the half barrel is 17 gallons so I'd imagine 5 wouldn't be much of a problem.

He's asking how much beer is left behind in the cone.

New Weldless thermowell with digital temp gauge coming soon..Got a sneak peak...looks nice and simple

weldless temp.JPG

weldless temp2.JPG

I would be more worried about having that much head space and oxidation, that being said I don't know the exact amount of dead space it has but looking at the pictures and knowing that it's a 60 degree cone (pretty sure at least) I think you would be fine. And if you find out .5 gallon isn't enough you can always account for that and just brew a little more... or start brewing double batches.

He's asking how much beer is left behind in the cone.

I don't see oxidation as an issue as one of the byproducts of fermentation is Co2. This would provide a barrier for and chance of oxidation.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I don't see oxidation as an issue as one of the byproducts of fermentation is Co2. This would provide a barrier for and chance of oxidation.

Reread the way I answered their question, I stated I would be more worried about oxidation vs worrying about loss of beer going into the keg. I guess I should have been a bit more specific and should of stated " I'd worry more about oxidation if you plan on doing long term aging"...,. I will add that so far from what I have read brewtech has had problems with their brew buckets which their conicals share the same design when it comes to sealing (lack of airlock bubbling due to seal problems) and I wouldn't be surprised if their conicals have the same problem.

On that note I just kegged a barley wine that sat in a plastic 7 gallon bucket (that probably leaks more or about the same as a Ss brewbucket) over a year with only 4 gallons of beer in it and I can't detect any excessive oxidation. Long story short I wouldn't worry about it but like I said before I'd worry more about oxidation problems vs trub /system loss (which can be accounted for)...

I guess we are pretty much on the same page, your right oxidation probably won't be an issue.

I have no problem filling a 5 gal. corny, racking from my 6.5 gal carboy, which I use for primary and secondary. I see no reason I won't be able to do the same going from my 7 gal. conical to corny. Just need to find time to brew again.

I have three of the 7 gallon conicals. I have measured the beer loss and it is about 1/2 gallon. This is when I have dropped the yeast. If I have not dropped all of the yeast then there is of course less beer loss.

CHRONICAL 14 GALLON FERMENTER is now available for PRE-ORDER!
You asked us to tell you when CHRONICAL 14 GALLON FERMENTER - CHRONICAL 14 GALLON FERMENTER would be available for ordering.

I'm not affiliated but have been on their notification list when these came into stock. They are still out of stock but opened them for pre-order today.

Thought others might be interested (seeing as how I already got my order in :D)

How are you guys controlling the temp on these (or planning to)? Especially the 14gal? Currently I have a chest freezer that can hold two carboys. Given the dimensions it should fit, but 14gal seems like a lot of weight to be lifting over the edge of a chest freezer..

How are you guys controlling the temp on these (or planning to)? Especially the 14gal? Currently I have a chest freezer that can hold two carboys. Given the dimensions it should fit, but 14gal seems like a lot of weight to be lifting over the edge of a chest freezer..

Unless you need to lager in it I would suggest their fts kit like badwolf mentioned, otherwise a front opening fridge would be the route I would take.

I'm still hoping to lager in it. I have a mini fridge I'll set to maximum cold and use a saltwater reservoir in there and see how cold I can get it. I have an old ac window unit that I can make into a glycol chiller too.

Their quality is really amazing. some of the nicest stainless welds I've seen

Looking to pick up the 7g Brew Bucket sometime soon -- my neighbor has one -- and loves it.

I'll probably do the same as neighbor and drill a hole in lid for a thermowell.

Using a Sanyo 4912 Fridge with Johnson Controls Digital Temp Controller as my fermenter.

Here are some very affordable SS straight-wall thermowells.

https://www.brewershardware.com/Straight-Wall-Thermowells/

How exactly does the thermometer attach to these fermenters? Are there threads in the fermenter, and if so, what is the thread size? If anyone could show me some close up pics of the thermometer hardware disassembled it would be appreciated! Thanks!

How many feet between where you brew and where you have your chest freezer? I've seen people run some pretty lengthy lines and pump it. You could put the chronical in the fridge empty and then fill it.

How many feet between where you brew and where you have your chest freezer? I've seen people run some pretty lengthy lines and pump it. You could put the chronical in the fridge empty and then fill it.

I have an 8 foot hose. I pump up into the fridge, as I have been brewing 15 gallon batches. Between the pump and all my hoses I lose about a gallon.

How exactly does the thermometer attach to these fermenters? Are there threads in the fermenter, and if so, what is the thread size? If anyone could show me some close up pics of the thermometer hardware disassembled it would be appreciated! Thanks!

If you are talking about the front thermometer they sell? If so then it's actually simple.

The chronical comes with a weldless thermo-well that you attach to it. Not sure why they went from a welded one to a weldless but that's what all the new ones come with.

If you buy their thermometer for the front, it's really simple. Its a small tiny LCD in a plastic box with a shot wire coming out the back with the temp probe. It comes with a Silicone case that has an opening in the back, a nipple. You insert the thermometer into the case (sort of like putting a case on your phone) and the temp sensor comes out the back nipple of the silicone case. The nipple is just big enough to allow you to stretch it over the thermo well that is sticking out of the conical. This is how it keeps the thermometer in place.

If you are talking about the front thermometer they sell? If so then it's actually simple.

The chronical comes with a weldless thermo-well that you attach to it. Not sure why they went from a welded one to a weldless but that's what all the new ones come with.

If you buy their thermometer for the front, it's really simple. Its a small tiny LCD in a plastic box with a shot wire coming out the back with the temp probe. It comes with a Silicone case that has an opening in the back, a nipple. You insert the thermometer into the case (sort of like putting a case on your phone) and the temp sensor comes out the back nipple of the silicone case. The nipple is just big enough to allow you to stretch it over the thermo well that is sticking out of the conical. This is how it keeps the thermometer in place.

Thanks, but it's still not totally clear to me. Do you own one? Can you take a few pictures of the outside and inside of the fermenter without the thermometer in place? I am going to use my temp sensor, not their thermometer, so I need to know how or if it is going to work.

Thanks a lot!

Thanks, but it's still not totally clear to me. Do you own one? Can you take a few pictures of the outside and inside of the fermenter without the thermometer in place? I am going to use my temp sensor, not their thermometer, so I need to know how or if it is going to work.

Thanks a lot!

I'll try and post pictures on Saturday when I am back home. But since the thermowell is a weldless type, you could install a weldless temp sensor or if your temp sensor is just a wire, it will fit into the thermowell it comes with, it's a standard diameter thermowell.

The thermowell it comes with is not just for their temp sensor.

I preordered the 14 gallon conical, with a delivery estimate for the first week of Dec.
I ordered two for non computer savy friends last week (no phone number on thier site... really?) and the half barrel has shipped already, the 14 gallon is expected to ship dec 4th... So far they have been a pleasure to deal with answering questions and such. hopefully my girlfriend buys me the 14 gallon one for Christmas (she has told me she is getting me a larger conical but nothing more)..

I ordered two for non computer savy friends last week (no phone number on thier site... really?)
While completely off-topic, I can't help but respond to this:

I prefer no-phone support as long as there is support and they respond to emails. Why? It drives costs down considerably not having to man a phone line 40+ hours/week. It adds incredibly to the cost of products.

Kal

While completely off-topic, I can't help but respond to this:

I prefer no-phone support as long as there is support and they respond to emails. Why? It drives costs down considerably not having to man a phone line 40+ hours/week. It adds incredibly to the cost of products.

Kal

Kal,
That's great for the 60%? of the current worlds population that uses computers but alienates a lot of business for those that are not... case in point the $1100 order I placed last week for friends just because I happened to be visiting them while at my cabin hunting.... and I have to add I had to convince them they were a real reputable company despite not having a phone number like like 95% of all the other businesses do... many still actually look at that as a shady business practice. I am a field engineer by trade and I can tell you it would be ridiculous to expect me customers to do all their business with us via email....

I personally don't care if the number posted but a business loses a lot of business with such a narrow minded viewpoint...sorry if a business has to at least buy an answering machine. $20?... with the markups I see here its more than justified... don't you honestly agree? Then again I don't know how much your making on the 60% or so you do deal with so...
I'm in my 30s and very often find myself doing the shopping for older friends who aren't as computer savvy so I might be biased but I can easily see that this point of view is excluding a large market of home brewers. I feel its unfair to write them off. Many Honest people still like the ability to call and speak to a human being... especially when they are being asked to fork over a large portion of money...

I personally don't care if the number posted but a business loses a lot of business with such a narrow minded viewpoint...
I think it really depends on the business, what you're selling, what your audience is. It's not black and white. There's no one correct answer.

Kal

I just wanted to give an example of my experience with SS Brewing. I have a 1/2 barrel Chronical and the gasket in the lid would fall out when I turned it upside down so I had a hard time putting on the lid without having the gasket fall into my wort. I emailed SS Brewing and had a new lid that held the gasket with no problem within 4 days. Great customer service!

I have no idea what Is going on above concerning phone numbers, but I got a 1/2 barrel conical and ss chronicals is awesome. No problems with them or their product at all. In fact I can't wait to get the 7 gall version. As to their customer service, it is the best I have ever dealt with. When I order my conical, I totally forgot to include a therm. I sent them an email explaining my mistake so they would charge me and include it in the shipment. they replied immediately. And even though it was my mistake, they fixed the problem, apologized, and gave me a discount. After I got my conical and decided I wanted to buy some new parts for the set up, they gave me specs and put me in touch with a discount place to buy ( which has already been mentioned in the thread several times).

I do not know the history of other posters to this thread, but my experience with them has been good. As I said, I can't wait til I have the money to buy another.

Back