Christmas Stout Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tamir

Reaction score
Hi,

Tomorrow I will be brewing a standard Irish Dry Stout.

I am brewing 12 Litre batches (for experimenting...) and now I am thinking about splitting this batch after fermentation is done, bottling the first half batch as is, and making a Christmas Stout out of the other one.

My question is - I know it most acceptable to boil the spices at the 10/5 last minutes of the boil, and since I'm not going to do that (for I want a half batch of a standard Irish Stout), and there is this way of soaking spices in Vodka, but it takes too long - how about boiling my spices in water for 10 minutes to sterilize them, and then adding the spices + the spiced water for secondary?

Did someone try this way? am I going to lose too many aromas/flavours?

You don't need to soak the spices that long in vodka. You will be just fine soaking for a couple of days before you split the batches and then add the spices and vodka to the Christmas half. Alcohol is very good at extracting the spice flavors.

I just listened to a beersmith podcast earlier this week where John Palmer talked about doing that to adjust his spice on a pumpkin ale, he was doing it at bottling though.

That will work just fine, just don't use a whole lot of water so you get a nice concentrated solution. add your spice solution into your secondary first then rack your beer on top. taste every week until you achieve the flavor you want.

That will work just fine, just don't use a whole lot of water so you get a nice concentrated solution. add your spice solution into your secondary first then rack your beer on top. taste every week until you achieve the flavor you want.

Yeah, that's what I thought, but for some reason i have never saw someone do that, there is pretty much a consensus in soaking in spirit.

I kinda wonder why. Did someone found a lack of taste/aroma with using this method?

someone in another thread raised this point- there's alcohol in the beer at that point, if you do it at secondary, the alcohol in the beer should take care of the extraction, as well as ward off contamination. I would probably add the spices dry to secondary.

someone in another thread raised this point- there's alcohol in the beer at that point, if you do it at secondary, the alcohol in the beer should take care of the extraction, as well as ward off contamination. I would probably add the spices dry to secondary.

This ^ No reason to soak the spices in vodka. Just dump them in secondary and be done with it.

I think soaking them in spirit, or boiling to make a tea is a good precaution. Although I agree the chance of contamination/infection is small, the % alcohol in beer is not high enough to ward it off. If that were the case we could all skip the whole sanitizing the bottles thing.

I think soaking them in spirit, or boiling to make a tea is a good precaution. Although I agree the chance of contamination/infection is small, the % alcohol in beer is not high enough to ward it off. If that were the case we could all skip the whole sanitizing the bottles thing.

I agree. It's an extra precaution that isn't really any work.

A high proof alcohol is going to extract the flavors alot better than an 4-8% ABV beer will.

Make a tincture with the spices.

I've had success making a tea and adding it at bottling. This was actually to adjust for a distinct lack of spice in a recipe that called for an addition at flameout.

Hi,

Tomorrow I will be brewing a standard Irish Dry Stout.

I am brewing 12 Litre batches (for experimenting...) and now I am thinking about splitting this batch after fermentation is done, bottling the first half batch as is, and making a Christmas Stout out of the other one.

My question is - I know it most acceptable to boil the spices at the 10/5 last minutes of the boil, and since I'm not going to do that (for I want a half batch of a standard Irish Stout), and there is this way of soaking spices in Vodka, but it takes too long - how about boiling my spices in water for 10 minutes to sterilize them, and then adding the spices + the spiced water for secondary?

Did someone try this way? am I going to lose too many aromas/flavours?

This is how I add a lot of stuff like vanilla beans, cinnamon sticks, and cacao nibs. I only boil for a min or so to not lose the flavors. I jsut do primary though. No secondary

Making a tincture is a better technique for controlling the impact of a flavor than just dumping the spices themselves in at secondary.

For example, for a Star Anise Stout I have, the amount of Anise flavoring was going to be critical and it's a very pungent flavor. I wanted to make sure I didn't overdo it and ruin a whole batch.

So I made a tincture with Star Anise and Vodka. Then poured out four 6oz glasses of a good stout and added a different number of drops in each, stirred and tasted. Then I scaled up the correct number of drops from 6ozs to 5 gallons and added to secondary.

Hope this helps!

Thanks a lot everyone, your responses came a bit late but for what it is worth, here's my update:

I decided I wanted my Christmas Stout slightly less dry than a regular Irish Dry, so I ended up steeping a portion of Crystal 90 in a little water, then boiling it for 15 minutes total, and boiling the spices for the last 10 minutes.

The smell was absolutely incredible. I added the whole thing to a secondary fermenter in a bag for easy straining afterwards. I took a small sample one day later, you can definitely tell it is spicy, but I'm not sure you can feel all the spices, so I intend to let it stand for a few more days.

Will 7 days with the whole spices+spices water will be too much in your opinion?

It depends on how much spices you added and what the spices were. Cinnamon sticks, for instance, can sit for a while and your'll be ok. But something like star anise will get overpowering quickly. I'd take a taste sample on day 3 or 4 and see

Back