Christmas Gift Idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

junior627

Reaction score
Looking for opinions on the perfect gift for homebrewer for around $100.00.

Gift card to one of the major brewing shops is always good. As with any hobby, lots of us have pretty specific ideas about what equipment we want to get next or what is unnecessary, and that makes it really difficult for someone else to choose something that is "perfect." Much better to let the brewer choose. Plus, gift cards can be used for ingredients, which is something we always need.

Hard to recommend anything when we don't know what the person already has...

And as has been said, many homebrewers do many things differently.

Gift cards are about the only thing I can recommend based on not knowing anything.

It was more of a question to find out what "you" would get with that $100.

Unless the brewer already has 4 or more you can NEVER have enough 6-gal Better Bottles!

If an all grain brewer, a nice handmade mash paddle would be great. A recipe kit will always get used.. again, being mindful of whether the brewer is doing all grain or not.

If I had an extra $100 I'd pick up two used 1/2 barrel kegs for converting into a MT and a BK.

Other ideas:
You could pick up a used freezer and build a controller for a fermentation chamber.

Build a IC and pick up a pond pump for recirculating cold water through it.

Buy a turkey fryer for brewing outdoors.

I'd buy that plug in controller all the brewing websights sell for some 79 bucks. Then he can put together an old freezer to brew temp controlled beers in. It'll cost about a hundred bucks shipped. Unless an LHBS near you has them,as it is a bit too close to Christmas to order unless you pay dearly for next day air NOW.

Yeah,that's true too. My fermenter stand has reached critical mass. I have a bottling bucket,6G BB,7.9G fermenter & my Cooper's Microbrew FV. My super agata bench capper sits on a corner of the brew stand,covered with the plastic it came in. Coiled up racking tubes,bottling wand/tube,etc on the handle. Gotta git-r-done any way I can at this point.

One of these ...

54012335_5b32413a69_z.jpg

A traditional sign for a Pub, Tavern, FreeHouse, Ciderhouse, Alehouse ...

For around $100, some marine plywood, trim, paint, some marine spar varnish ... and a bit of wrought iron hardware, and there you have it. As plain or as fancy as you please.

Many examples ...

UK Pub signs flickr group ...
http://www.flickr.com/groups/beers/pool/with/8092029724/

https://www.pinterest.com/mernies1936/inns-pubs-tavern-signs-etc/

Many examples online for early America too.

FrauncesTavern_V1_460x285_1.jpg

(A tavern favored by George Washington)

One could include all manner of things in the design. Images of the brewers house or cottage ... name ... dog ... “brewery” name ... etc etc.
Painted ... piercework ... wrought iron ... even an enlarged computer generated graphic shellac'd to a board.

I've had good results with making some types of signs by taking to a printer, officemax, kinko's etc and having printing done on their large digital printers. Often I have it printed in black & white outline only, and then paint the colors in manually and shellac the hell out of it (5 or 6 coats) to a board. I've made some huge signs for festivals this way.

If I was doing it I’d put together a jpg of the sign first from bits and pieces on the internet with photoshop and then work from that.

If I had $100 +/- I'd get a mash paddle ($40 ish), some sanitizer ($~10), and another SS weldless bulkhead/ ball valve combo ($~50). Kyle

Back