Choklat (Souther Tier) Inspired

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtybear7

Reaction score
Southern Tier's Choklat is my favorite chocolate stout. It is strong, smooth and tastes like a chocolate egg cream. I made a 3 gallon test batch of the recipe that was really nice. I don't know if it matched the straight up chocolate velvetyness of the Southern Tier's but is was good. I used fancy Valrohna Chocolate 100% Caoco Powder. I added the cocoa powder as is, I think next time I will try to make it a syrup first. I feel that might help incorporate it a little better. My major knock on the first batch was a cocoa powderiyness that clung to your lips.

Let me know what you think

Choklat (Souther Tier) Inspired
Imperial Stout
Author: dirtybear7

Size: 6.0*gal @ 65*°F
Efficiency: 80.0%
Attenuation: 77.0%

Original Gravity: 1.095 (1.075 - 1.115)
Terminal Gravity: 1.022 (1.018 - 1.030)
Color: 28.57 (30.0 - 40.0)
Alcohol: 9.68% (8.0% - 12.0%)
Bitterness: 67.2 (50.0 - 90.0)

Ingredients:
13.00*lb (63.4%) Standard 2-Row - added during mash
1.50*lb (7.3%) Caramel Malt 60L - added during mash
1.50*lb (7.3%) Chocolate Malt - added during mash
4.5*lb (22.0%) Barley (Pregelatinized Flakes) - added during mash
2.0*oz (50.0%) Chinook (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0*m
2.0*oz (50.0%) Willamette (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 10.0*m
16.0*oz Cocoa Powder - added during boil, boiled 9.0*m
2.0*ea White Labs WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast

The syrup does sound like a nice change. That recipe looks awesome! Choklat was really good; definitely a well made beer and the ABV really sneaks up on you.

The syrup does sound like a nice change. That recipe looks awesome! Choklat was really good; definitely a well made beer and the ABV really sneaks up on you.

The ABV really does sneak up on you with Choklat. Fermenting it @ 65F helped me in that dept.

Thanks for recipe. Brewing this tomorrow. Planning on cocoa nibs to secondary instead of boil. Lets see how it goes. cheers.

Does anyone have any tasting notes on this or is there another "clone" recipe for Choklat? Thanks.

It was great. It hid the alcohol well. It had a creamy chocolateyness with out being too sweet. I made the recipe because I couldn't find another clone. Please brew it and tell me what you think.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back