Chocolate Orange (Stout?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hudy

Reaction score
My inspiration for this brew is a chocolate covered blood orange (hence the name). I am trying to do this without adding chocolate or oranges. What do you think?

Bloody Chocolate

11.5lb 2 row
2lb crystal 60
1lb Munich (dark)
12oz chocolate Malt
6oz chocolate wheat
4oz black barley
4oz dark candi sugar
10oz flaked oats

1.25 Amarillo @60
.5 oz Ahtanum @45
1oz Amarillo @45
Aroma
1.75oz Amarillo
.25oz Ahtanum
Dry hop
1.75oz Amarillo
.25oz Ahtanum
Double pitch sag ale US-05

Are you sure you don't want to add some oranges during your dry hop? It's very easy to zest a couple oranges and throw the shavings in some vodka to sterilize.

Yeah I'm sure. It's more of a challenge type of a thing. I want to see if I can create the pronounced flavored using only the malt and hops.

i actually made a similar recipe last year due to free ingredients for a brew day event. The basement smelled like oranges for the better part of a week, i had never used ahtanum or amarillo before, so that type of fermentation aroma was new to me. Anyway, as orangey as it was as it fermented, the roastiness of the recipe covered up any contributions from the hops.

I haven't tried any adjustments on the recipe because it was a dud all around, so i really don't know if there is anything i could've done to make the orange flavor/smell come through. Basically this post has no useful information, but i am curious to hear how yours turns out!

Do you remember if you used this much hops? Losing the orange flavor in all the malt is what I'm worried about.

Do you remember if you used this much hops? Losing the orange flavor in all the malt is what I'm worried about.

oh hey, i forgot i had beersmith. I just looked up the recipe, and it looks like i did a half ounce of each as first wort hops, and an ounce of each at 5 minutes. way less hops, and no dry hop. Your recipe seems like it would work out better for the orange notes.

I didn't know that's what i was going for until i smelled the oranges in the basement, and then i pretended like i was making a chocolate covered orange beer, so i didn't try to push the hops.

I think you might be on the right track.

Back