Chocolate Malt in IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigchristheman

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has tried this with success. This was one of those things that I always tried to stay away from, as really fully bodied and sweet IPA's and Double IPA's are not my thing at all.

Sierra Nevada came out with a new Ruthless Rye IPA and gave this information about it:

Bittering Hops: Bravo
Aroma Hops: Chinook & Experimental hops
Dry Hops: Chinook, Citra & Experimental hops
Malts: Pale, Rye, Caramel and Chocolate
Yeast: Ale Yeast

Has anyone here used chocolate malt in a hoppy or dry beer with success? It is inspiring me to think outside of the box a little more.

Sounds good. Also consider trying dehusked versions of Carafa II and III as they are quite common in Cascadian Dark Ales.

I'd assume the chocolate malt was there mainly for color adjustment. For some reason, a lot of people hear rye and think red.

I've been making an imperial ipa with 1/4 lb of chocolate. I wanted a deep red ipa, and the chocolate did it. It's a delicious beer.

dankev said:
I've been making an imperial ipa with 1/4 lb of chocolate. I wanted a deep red ipa, and the chocolate did it. It's a delicious beer.

I did the exact same thing! The color is really nice.

Back