Choc/Espresso Milk Stout Carbing problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexanRudeboy

Reaction score
Volume: 3 Gal (3 gal boil, 1/2 gal top off, distilled water)
OG 1.069 FG 1.027

4# Briess Dark DME(2 lbs at flameout)
9.6 oz lactose(at flameout)

2.4 oz extra dark crystal
7.2 oz pale chocolate malt
155 degrees, 30 min steep

20 g 8% AA cluster at 60 min
8 g " " 30 min

Wyeast 1332 (1.5 L starter)

Started at 65 degrees and added 1 degree per day up to 68. It fermented for 13 days, to 1.028, then I added 2.75 oz cacao nibs. It sat for 13 more days, finishing at 1.027, then I cold crashed it for 2 days. I bottled it with 65 g dextrose(2.3 vols according to the site I used), doing as I always do: boiling priming solution, pouring it into sanitized bottling bucket, allowing to cool, and siphoning beer onto it allowing the swirling action to mix it. I've had no problems with this method before. I added a double shot of espresso , cooled, to the last gallon in the bucket.

2 weeks later, after chilling and opening 2 of each a day apart, the espresso gallon is fully carbed but the chocolate portion is completely flat. The yeast layer in the bottle is fully compacted in the espresso ones, but still a murky and loose in the chocolate ones. I know carbonation can take time, I'll leave the chocolate ones a few more weeks, I was just wondering if anyone could help me understand why the espresso ones are carbed and their yeast flocculated while the chocolate ones aren't/haven't.

Back