Chilling In Secondary Before Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KopyKat

Reaction score
My last brew was in secondary two weeks and I decided to put it in the fridge and chill it a few days before bottleing it to improve clarity. Is there any downside to this.
Is it possible too much yeast will fall to the trub and not have enough to get carbonation?
Have I done a boo-boo?

I think you'll be fine. There's always a few billion yeast kicking around, even when your brew looks dead clear. What kind of brew are you using? Certainly lager yeast needs to be cold conditioned. Do you find that ales benefit from it too? I'm curious myself.

It's the Southern Brown. I just wanted to end with a couple of cold days in the secondary in hopes I would achieve better clarity than I did on my first. I will be bottleing it tomorrow morning.

Cold conditioning ales is fine so long as fermentation has completed. It will clear up nicer, and chill haze will not happen.

Our cellar/crawlspace is in the high-40s in the winter and the mid-60s in the summer. I am a proponent of cold conditioning for clarity.

In my bottling days, carbonation after a couple weeks of cold conditioning was never a problem - I just stored the freshly bottled beer upstairs for a month before moving them back down to the "cave".

Hopsnort

Back