Chilled Glasses?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Requiemm

Reaction score
I've got a little 5.5 cf freezer that I'm going to build into a keezer and I was thinking it would be pretty awesome to have chilled glassware. Any suggestions on how I can insulate and build a chamber next to the freezer inside the keezer and cool it from the freezer?

I did say "chilled" not "frozen :) My keezer stays at 38-40f so anything cooled by it would not be frozen. It would actually allow the glassware to match the dispensing temp.

Is there an option to stack the glasses in the keezer?

Otherwise you could do something like the son-of-a-fermentation chiller where you route a fan and tubing to circulate air into an adjacent chamber through the keezer collar, but that seems like a lot of work...

Is there an option to stack the glasses in the keezer?

Otherwise you could do something like the son-of-a-fermentation chiller where you route a fan and tubing to circulate air into an adjacent chamber through the keezer collar, but that seems like a lot of work...

Issue with stacking glasses in the keezer would be the need to open the whole lid every time to get the glasses in or out. I'm looking at an adapted collar style.

The answer may be obvious, but why the dislike of frozen glasses? I get that good beer shouldn't need them, but what is the thinking here?

If you are into British Isle style ales frozen glasses will hide the full flavor and complexity of the malt.

I've got a little 5.5 cf freezer that I'm going to build into a keezer and I was thinking it would be pretty awesome to have chilled glassware. Any suggestions on how I can insulate and build a chamber next to the freezer inside the keezer and cool it from the freezer?

Can you build a drawer into the collar that would hold the glasses?

The answer may be obvious, but why the dislike of frozen glasses?[...]

A glass chilled just short of frost-formation is great, but frost creates a bazillion nucleation points which will promptly knock a fair share of carbonation right out of the beer. If you're pouring something you wish to savor that's the wrong way to start...

Cheers!

Thanks for the replies folks. I've rethought things and am not going to worry about chilling the glasses after all.

I built what I call a back shelf on mine that extends to the rear of my Keezer with "flap" lids to access on either side of the tower- one side for "visitor" beer and the other side for my glasses

The answer may be obvious, but why the dislike of frozen glasses? I get that good beer shouldn't need them, but what is the thinking here?

Mostly because of the chance that a this layer of slush will form on the inside of the glass. I do not like this.

But also because as the glass thaws from the beer it makes a crapton of condensation. I do not like this either.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1449800189.214238.jpg
Here's the pic--- still need to download the pics of the back shelf. It's m first one and like most folks there are things I would do different of course but it's treating me pretty good.

Would like some thoughts on my settings - I know (and been hearing) everybody has there own opinions about settings but I'm getting to much foam despite glass temps and pour angles--- love to hear about what your settings are to see if I can improve my pour.

Oops hit send to fast - sorry to bore others but had a message that wanted to see the shelf inside and could not figure out how to put a pic on a message

If you are into British Isle style ales frozen glasses will hide the full flavor and complexity of the malt.

Honestly, if you like any beer that has more than one layer of flavor, the chilling of the beer below the intended serving temperature by a lot, seriously reduces your ability to appreciate the nuances.

I personally will not even drink Sierra Nevada Pale Ale from a frozen glass at a bar. I confuse bartenders all the time by ask for a not frozen glass...occasionally asking for on straight out of the dishwasher when they do have a more complex ale on tap (rare) so the beer will warm to about 55f from the commonly 40f kegerator.

You know ALL these years,,, I never even thought about this topic- guess it's the country boy in me I've only thought about cold beer good beer but know that you mention it I think about all the discussions about different types of wines needing to be served at different temps so I don't know why different beers would not be the same way------ time to "experiment" hahahaha

You know ALL these years,,, I never even thought about this topic- guess it's the country boy in me I've only thought about cold beer good beer but know that you mention it I think about all the discussions about different types of wines needing to be served at different temps so I don't know why different beers would not be the same way------ time to "experiment" hahahaha

The more "traditional" an English Bitter, Mild, Pale, Porter, Stout, etc...the better they tend to taste a little warmer than BMC. In some cases 45-50f but I guess occasionally warmer is even better. Even some very high aroma/dry hopped beers (American IPA, DIPA,etc) really shine a little warmer because the aroma is much more intense.

Ordinary and Standard Bitters in particular are pretty darned bland at 38-45 F. Let them warm to 50-55 f and the flavor is actually there (though subtle) where you really could not taste it at all when colder. Same with the "delicate" hop aroma.

Your common German beers tend to designed around a colder serving temperature but even then, Dunkelweizens are excellent if you let them warm up a bit.

Thanks for the thoughts! Aside from the barrels consumed over the years I suppose that I am truly a novice and need to learn my classifications and then go from there.

Back