Chili Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reinkingg

Reaction score
Have any of you made chili beers? I read they are supposed to be really good, so in the two batches I have bottled I added some diferent peppers to a few bottles, however I took a look at one of them today and I can see a white film at the top of the beer is this normal? For this one I added a dry pepper and made some cuts along the pepper before placing it in the bottle, is this the way to do it?
In other bottles I used fresh peppers and did the same cuttings and they seem fine however these peppers went to the bottom of the bottle while the dried ones stayed at the top.
One final question, does the peppers afect the beer head, I'm not sure but I guess that oils are been released from the peppers therefore afecting the head but this is only a guess, anyway I'll let you know when I open it in about 2 weeks?

The dried one floated because they have an air bubble inside keeping them afloat. The regular ones are already contain water and sink.

Head retention was a bit of a problem for me also.

I wanted to make a chili pepper beer this years, but I've been on the road 14 weeks already and preparing to hit the road again next week.

I just brewed batch 15 for the year on Sun.

Can't say anything about the film...did you wash them thoroughly before adding them to the bottle?

I usually put several slits down the side (like yourself) and then cut the bottom off. This allows beer to enter the pepper. I've heard of some people just pureeing the peppers and adding it to the secondary.

Back