Chile Stout Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WharfRat

Reaction score
So I am brewing a 5G chocolate stout to which I would like to add dried chiles. Was planning to add dried Chiles to the secondary and taste periodically until the heat level is right. Ancho, pasilla, guajillo, chipotle (although trying to get my mind around smoke notes in choco stout) are all possibilities. Planning on toasting them and just dumping them in whole.

Who has brewed with dried chile? Any advice on quantity, type of chile, method, etc? Do you think chipotles would be too far out? Thanks in advance for any advice!

I would watch the Chipotle. Its a roasted jalepeno that often has been soaked in oil. I have had ancho, poblano and anaheim in stout that are killer. Also the smoky notes can add a lot to a choc stout imho.

I've had success with 30g of stripped-up ancho in 2.5g of chocolate milk stout (in nylon stockings in secondary), keep the top of the stocking around the neck of the carboy for easy removal. Really good flavor for 6-12 months.

Thanks for the advice. The Mexican market was out of chipotles, so I grabbed some moritas. Used a couple of those, then the balance with ancho, guajillo and pasilla, like a molé poblano :) little more than the 30g. Figure I can add more if not developing the heat and flavor I want.

Wondering how long you left yours steeping in the secondary?

Back