Chicago water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malric

Reaction score
Hey all,
I have the general water report for my town, but it doesn't include specific mineral levels. I was wondering if anyone has a source for this information.

If you're on chicago city water, they use chloramine, doesn't boil out.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

You are best to call the water department directly and specifically ask them for what you are looking for as it most likely won't be on the general report.

Otherwise you are best off sending a sample to ward labs directly from your tap. I'm in Glenview and while the water comes from the lake it is supplied by Wilmette. I have my Ward Lab analysis if you want it but I do not know exactly where you are or if it would similar.

I believe there is a chicago water profile in beersmith

There is but it is not accurate, nor updated, nor does it actually address specific areas. If you are outside of the city proper your water comes through different water suppliers.

There is but it is not accurate, nor updated, nor does it actually address specific areas. If you are outside of the city proper your water comes through different water suppliers.

Its never going to be accurate unless you have real-time monitoring at your tap.

Its never going to be accurate unless you have real-time monitoring at your tap.

I meant accurate as it's quite outdated and as I mentioned before, it's for city proper only. Everything outside of city proper is distributed through other treatment plants that conduct further treatment along the way.

Sent from the Commune

You are best to call the water department directly and specifically ask them for what you are looking for as it most likely won't be on the general report.

Otherwise you are best off sending a sample to ward labs directly from your tap. I'm in Glenview and while the water comes from the lake it is supplied by Wilmette. I have my Ward Lab analysis if you want it but I do not know exactly where you are or if it would similar.

How much did that run you to have done? I'm looking to get a detailed breakdown done when I get a house in 16 months...

When I lived in the city many years ago I found that Chicago water was tricky to brew with. When I moved house to Wisconsin I found my beer improved dramatically and the only variable I can think of was water.

That said, I sat down with two pro brewers the other night who swore up and down that Chicago water was great for brewing.

Sent from my Rotary Phone using Magic.

Ward labs test package 5 or 5a for $27.25 gets you everything you need.

Sent from the Commune

City water is great for brewing actually...believe me, most of the country wished they had it as good. your watermains on the other hand are probably 100 years old. :)

Nothing a carbon filter shouldn't clean though...that's probably all that jewel does.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back