Chest freezer to kegerator newbie questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamd

Reaction score
What I am looking for is to convert a chest freezer to a kegerator. I'd like 5 taps so ideally at least room for 5 cornys, but hopefully more. One that I am looking at has dimensions of 48" x 34" x 22''

3m73pa3lbZZZZZZZZZ9376e26451374911694.jpg

First my question is this enough size for what I want(warned you they are newb questions)?

Secondly, do any of you have a method of reconditioning the outside of these things as it looks like its in poor shape.

Lastly, the dimensions are 48(Length?) 34(?) 22(?)

there is a thread here somewhere that i used to figure out this exact thing; a template you can print out and lay the circles out in the freezer to get an idea... i wasn't able to find it in my quick search, maybe someone can help you there.

on the exterior reconditioning... there are a ton of things you could do, check out this thread for ideas.

As far as reconditioning the outside, it depends on what look you're going for. There are a ton of products for painting metal, especially from Rustoleum. Here's just a little info on painting metal:

1. Depending on the current condition of the fridge, you may need to do some sanding/grinding to get areas of heavy rust down a bit. After that, you should probably use a rusty metal primer, which will prevent the rust spots from coming through the paint. If you don't have issues with rust and the surface is in pretty decent shape, just use your topcoat paint without a primer.
2. If you're looking to keep it white, I would suggest an appliance paint. It's made by Rustoleum and it's probably the best choice for adhering to smooth finishes (typical for refrigerators, stoves an other appliances).
3. You could use a chalkboard paint on the top (or the whole thing) so you can write what's on tap. I believe a quart runs about $10 and it's also made by Rustoleum. They even sell tintable chalkboard paint.

If you just go to Lowe's or Home Depot you'll find a lot of different options. Just choose what works for you.

Latest posts

Back