Chest Freezer / Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subourbonite

Reaction score
Ok, I have browsed around online and read some of the FAQs, but I am still a bit hazy on kegging. After a break (for personal reasons) this year from homebrewing, I am looking to get back into it. This time around, I really would like to keg rather than bottle.

It appears that my first decision with kegging is to figure out whether I am going to use a fridge or chest freezer. I am looking to start with 2 kegs at a time, but would like room to expand to probably 4 kegs (cornies) on tap. Based on what I've read, it sounds like my best bet for this would be a chest freezer.

So my first questions are:
  1. What size chest freezer will I need to be able to fit up to 4 cornies?
  2. Where is a reputable but relatively inexpensive supplier of kegging "kits"? Aside from the freezer/temp controller, I would be looking for the whole hog - tubing, tower, empty kegs, CO2 cylinder, etc.
  3. Are there any particular models of chest freezer that people would recommend?

I'm sure I'll have many more questions, but this is where I'm trying to start...

Great, thank you! The Lowe's in my area is still under construction, but I've heard it will be open before the holidays, so I will definitely check it out!

subourbonite said:
So my first questions are:
  1. What size chest freezer will I need to be able to fit up to 4 cornies?
  2. Where is a reputable but relatively inexpensive supplier of kegging "kits"? Aside from the freezer/temp controller, I would be looking for the whole hog - tubing, tower, empty kegs, CO2 cylinder, etc.
  3. Are there any particular models of chest freezer that people would recommend?

I'm sure I'll have many more questions, but this is where I'm trying to start...
I like my Whirlpool 9.6 Cubic Foot. Got it from Lowe’s and holds 5 cornies.

Freezer_WTaps_4.JPG

Freezer_WTaps_3.JPG

I'd only recommend that any chest freezer you get, go ahead and spend a few minutes caulking all of the joints. Freezers are designed to be…frozen. Held at 37 +/- degrees, they can really get a lot of condensation and you’ll want to protect those joints from oxidizing.

I picked up my equipment from a variety of places on-line:

www.micromatic.com
http://www.homebrewing.org/
http://stores.kegconnection.com/StoreFront.bok

The 7 cu ft model they sell at Home Depot will hold 4 unmodified, 5 with a collar and CO2 tank inside, and 6 with collar and CO2 outside. It is right at $200 after tax.

8361-keezer.jpg

Back