Cherry Wheat/Ale questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muss

Reaction score
Hi All

I will have a Wyeast belgian abbey ale yeast cake available soon and I'd like to simply dump some fresh wort on it to simply get better value out of it and I'd like to make a nice and easy beer.

I'd like to make a cherry or berry flavoured beer and I have at my disposal a Muntons Export Pilsener tin, a Muntons wheat beer tin, a tin of amber malt extract, loads of dextrose and a freezer ful of all sorts of hop pellets.
I understand that Belgian kirsch's like Bellviewe Kirsch etc are made with lambic yeasts and take years to brew and age. Apparently they open ferment them to let in wild yeast and they grow spider webs over the tops of the fermenters to stop the fruit flies getting in (not sure how true that is but I don't particularly like spiders so I'm not game for that method).

Anyway what am I blabbering on about... That's right berry beers.

Do you think the amber malt extract would suit the wheat beer kit. I think I'd end up with a darker than average wheat beer with more of a malt flavour and not so hoppy. Would that suit cherry or berry flavours, or are those better suited to lighter ales/wheats?

Well, that's really a matter of taste. However, I always think that the deeper flavors actually work better with cherries and other berries.

TL

Cheers TL

I added the amber malt extract.
It fermented like mad since I already had a yeast cake. Will add the cherries in secondary.

Back