Cherry Dubbel. Comments?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oooFishy

Reaction score
77.8% pale
5.7% caramel
2.3% chocolate
1.9% roasted malt
12.3% turbinado

OG= 1.080; 24.5 SRM

3oz East Kent Goldings (60min)
1oz Belgian Saaz (30min)

BU= 28

Use WLP500. Use v. small starter, Primary ferment at 68F, ramp to 80+ over 1 week
Add 6 cans tart cherries, 3 cans sweet cherries to secondary

How does this sound to you folks?

I know this probably doesn't fall into the dubbel category, and I'm not too concerned. I'm mainly interested in feedback on my grain bill--
The beer's gonna be a little dark, but I do want some roasted flavor. With that said, can I really cut back the roasted malt any more and still get some roasted flavor from it? Secondly, will the caramel give me enough head retention, or should I add another adjunct (carapils or oats or something).

Importantly, do people think the chocolate and cherry flavors will work together?

Is pale malt OK, or should I do pilsner? I'm thinking I should just save my money on the pale, since there are going to be a lot of other flavors going on.

These are a few of some questions that I havent made up my mind about. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks.

Austin Home Brew Supply Makes a Chocolate rasberry Stout that is delicious, the roastyness compliments the chocolate and the berrys make it good. This will probalby be similar but less roasty.

Back